Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Werra 1 lens issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Werra 1 lens issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Heywood
Tinkerer
Username: Heywood

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked up another Werra. After I got my first one (the one with the hard lens cover) i was impressed with it's minimalistic design that I got another one. This is also labeled Werra 1 but you can see the body is more curvy & it has what I call the "fat" lens. The issue I'm having with the fat one is the aperture ring, the blades won't move. Even though both these cameras use the same shutter & lens the layout of the rings is different.

On the fat one the first ring after the winder is shutter speed, this has 2 tall plastic bits for you to use to move the ring, the next ring up is the aperture ring, this also has to short plastic bits. Now if i use the tall ones to turn the shutter speed thats locked in to the aperture, so it turns that ring as well. If after I set my shutter speed I want to change the aperture I can, by using the small bits on the aperture ring. However the aperture never opens or closes, the ring feels fine.

I messaged the guy i bought it from, i said I'm not looking to return this but i need to know was it working fine when you sent it, he said yes. Ive got 3 manuals for this, but all of them use the early "skinny" lens as the model where the rings & whole lens layout is different. My lens resembles more the ones that can be changed on the Werra 3 & 4

I feel that there is some minor thing I am overlooking but i just can't seem to put my finger on it, any suggestions ?

Werra 1 earlyWerra 1 late

Silversurfer
Tinkerer
Username: Silversurfer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Haywood, I have this model 1 Werra,I don't know for sure how the interlocking? of aperture/shutter are done, it's some time since I used it.
I will dig it out and check in next few days and post what I find. I know they are prone to the blanking (rear)shutter not functioning if not used for many years.
silversurfer

Heywood
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great, thanks much. To be clear the one on the top, the green one is that I call the skinny lens. It''s the bottom one thats new and problematic.

Silversurfer
Tinkerer
Username: Silversurfer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Heywood, had a look at my Werra 1 (round top model) The underside of the aperture ring has numbers that go from 5 in odd? steps to 220 Z. I can only think these are to relate to an exposure reading? You can lock aperture/speed and then rotate both rings as one to maintain constant exposure value. When I select 1 sec and press button, I can see the shutter open for 1 sec. If this does not happen on yours you have a problem with the shutter or the rear light seal shutter. Hope this is of help, other more knowlegable members may be able to add to this. best of luck, silversurfer

Heywood
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Silver:
Yes on the underside of the ring, reading from left to right is as follows
"Z 220 120 80 50 30 20 15 10 7 5"
Directly above that on the wide part of the lens that can not be moved is
"m 20 12 8 6 4 3 2 1.5 1"
I'm not even sure one relates to the other, as I don't see how the first set of numbers relates to shutter speed or lens aperture. As far as film speed goes these Werra version #1 have none. Which I am dumbfounded by as even cameras from the early 1900's had a method to select film speed, and these werras are from they 50's ?

Here are 2 links to manuals for the werra, covering models 1-4, and still after reading these I don't know what those odd numbers are or if i'm doing anything wrong.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/werra_1-4/werra_1-4.htm

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/werra_i-v/werra_i-v.htm

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 907

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The camera in question is a model 1E, from 1965/66, assembled by VEB Pentacon and appears to be a 'metric' unit - it is impossible to read the lens barrel engravings in your picture. The model 1 was the simplest camera of the range and whilst I have not handled a 1E, all the other type 1 cameras had a shutter/aperture interlock - the LV system without the values actually being engraved. The m 20.....1 scale seems to equate to distance/depth of field calculations.

I am at a loss to understand your comments about selecting film speed on cameras from the 1900's - one couldn't as there never was a method. Only when built in exposure meters became the norm did film speed selection appear on cameras and as far as every type of Werra 1 is concerned there is no means of selecting film speed, the type 1 is not equipped with a built in exposure meter.

Note - Z is the symbol for integer and comes from the German for number, so perhaps the z...220... scale IS denoting some type of LV system

As to your specific problem - on all the type 1 Werra's I have come across, moving the aperture ring moves the aperture blades. You will have to search for a 1960's 1E manual online, but all the references I found were apparently in Japanese.

Heywood
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look for that specific manual you mention as when I've searched and aside from the ones I linked above i do not find any specifically for the werra 1e, perhaps you could post a link please ?

Thanks

Georgeboosh
Tinkerer
Username: Georgeboosh

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 05:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The aperture blades should open and close when you turn the aperture ring. You need to disassemble the lens and find out why the blades are not working properly. They may just have come out of place and need putting back in place. Or they may be irreparably broken. I can't say without looking at it.

I haven't needed to fix an aperture before so can't offer knowledge on how exactly to do it but can offer some advice on how to disassemble the camera/lens to get nearer to the blades to inspect them if you need it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration