Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Braun Gloria Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Braun Gloria « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Keith
Tinkerer
Username: Keith

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently procured a Braun Gloria. It is a 120rollfilm camera with a viewfinder and uncoupled rangefinder. The camera is in excellent condition - BUT - the rangefinder isn't working. Before I start dismantling it, has anyone any experience of this and can advise me of any likely problems?

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 136

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First step is to take off the top cover and see how the mechanism works.

Rangefinders have very weak return-springs. Usually a drop or two of naptha is all it takes to free up the sticky pivots or other friction points. Use the lightest oil you have, if you want to lube the joints.

Fortunately, the simpler early 1950s cameras like the Gloria are not difficult to take apart and re-assemble.

Keith
Tinkerer
Username: Keith

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have since found that the rangefinder is working, it is very dim and hard to see, it seems to be a common problem. At first I thought my rangefinder wasn't working but if you look at something bright, say a lit lightbulb, you will see the second image rather darker and with an orange cast. I don't know what to do about it, I could get a seperate rangefinder and fit it to the accessory shoe. The built in rangefinder is not coupled to the lens. Apart from the rangefinder problem it's a terrific camera, much different from the modern digital cameras, you have to work everything out for yourself which is good practice. Remember the Sunny f16 Rule?

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 73

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could try putting a small piece of black tape on the front rangefinder window. Place the tape (the same size as the double image) over the center of the window. This will improve the contrast and will make the double image easier to see.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration