Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XE - after using flash shutte... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XE - after using flash shutter is erratic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zenzaman
Tinkerer
Username: Zenzaman

Post Number: 28

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good afternoon!

I have a minolta xe and just now I tried and old russian flash with it (on pc sync) but forgot the shutter speed on 1/60. The camera remained with the mirror up. I managed to put it down again by pulling the mirror and recocking the camera but it stays up with every shutter release. Sometimes it seems it tries to expose for 2 seconds or around that.
I'm totally puzzled and scared, I admit. I just got it from ebay and so far everything was fine so it's certainly related to my stupid flash curiosity. I really really love this camera. Help! :-s

Zenzaman
Tinkerer
Username: Zenzaman

Post Number: 29

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 03:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, mistery solved :-))
it seems that flash release instantly drained the batteries (probably very old anyway). I've just replaced them and it's fine now. I guess i'll just have to stay away from old rattly russian flashes...

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably just a coincidence, but you do have to be careful about flashguns with high trigger voltages around electronic cameras,

Teraforce88
Tinkerer
Username: Teraforce88

Post Number: 32

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On Minolta XEs, the mirror will stay up if you release the shutter with dead/weak batteries. You can reset the mirror by simply turning the SS dial to either the X or the B settings, since those two settings don't require batteries. All the other settings require batteries though, and if there isn't enough juice, the mirror will lock up. This is 100% normal behavior for the XEs.

Another tip: on the side of the camera where the ISO dial is, there should be a little red battery check light. Push down on the lever to test the batteries (the light should light up if they're good).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration