Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Unsticking a stuck focus ring, what c... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Unsticking a stuck focus ring, what chems/voodoo/methods work ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Heywood
Tinkerer
Username: Heywood

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up 2 zeiss 80mm lenses, identical. On one of them the focus ring will not move. I have compared it in every way/shape/form to the other lens to see if maybe theres some transit set-screw but nada. I was suddenly reminded me of my Ansco Memar Pronto which had the same issue, I read that the grease in there sometimes gets hard as cement. After a long time gently rocking it to & fro it freed itself up.

I'm thinking thats the same issue here but pressure isn't working. Aside from normal household cleaners I've got alcohol, wd-40, liquid silicone and naptha. I've tried the alcohol but nothing happened, before i try more chems I thought about perhaps heating it up slightly with the air from a hot air hair dryer.

Any suggestions ?

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 84

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had similar problems (lenstubes fused together) with an Agfa Jsolette. You can see how i solved that here :

Agfa Jsolette Lenses fused together

Ansisplat
Tinkerer
Username: Ansisplat

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instead of using WD40 as Hanskerensk said, I would use petroleum Naphtha. Just a drop. and dont get it on the glass because it my dislove the coating on the lens.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 275

Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 03:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just for the record; 100% petroleum spirit/ naphtha/ white spirit/ ronsonol/ lighter fluid will NOT damage glass surfaces or optical coatings. If the 'naphtha' is paint grade it may be contaminated with acetone and chlorinated solvents and there is the remote possibility the misapplication of such solvents will result in melting the cement used to secure older doublets.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 85

Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On that stubborn Jsolette lens i did try lighterfluid (ronsonol) first. That didn't help so i resolved to "microdrops" of WD40 knowing that this way of applying (with a needle) would ensure that the WD40 wouldn't reach the vulnerable parts of the lens.

Never spray that WD40 ! I got a lot of vintage cameras dirtcheap because that is just what the former owner did and so ruined the function of lens and/or shutter.

Heywood
Tinkerer
Username: Heywood

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Success !!!

In the end it was a product called "goof off". I'd though i had naptha but it was in fact acetone, I know that would take off any painted markings on the lens so i skipped it. I remembered i had this product, you can get it at Home Depot, Lowes etc but it's made for removing tape residue, tar splashes near the wheel-well of the car, any type of gummy stuff. So I used a dental tool to collect droplets & put them in. A few hours later I tried & could feel it move slightly so i left it for another hour. I returned and with some elbow grease freed it up. Theres some schmootz around the outside but I'll clean that up later & maybe post a pic of it.

Thanks for all the help & insight

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration