Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet G-III QL17 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canonet G-III QL17 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I've recently acquired the above and have found some strange behaviour with the shutter. If I hold the camera vertically with the wind on side to the bottom, the camera shutter will always fire and works at all speeds. If I hold the camera vertically with the viewfinder side to the bottom the camera will not fire (but the wind on is still locked). Holding the camera in the normal horizontal position the shutter will sometimes fire sometimes not. With the camera lying on it's back the shutter fires all the time but face down is intermittent.

I should add that it 'feels' like the shutter release mechanism is not engaging as the button feels slightly different when it isn't going to fire then when it fires.

Has anyone seen something like this before? I'm not sure it's sticky blades as the shutter fires normally in certain positions.

Thanks

Ronnie

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read that positional changes that are coincidental with shutter release problems can be a sign that the shutter (the iris blades in this case) are freezing. This is merely 2nd hand news, but it made sense to me when I saw it.

Loosecanon
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 44

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the camera in automatic exposure mode? If so, the shutter button is "locked" when the meter determines a correct exposure cannot be made. Does the shutter function normally in manual mode? You can view the G-III user's manual here:
http://primco.org/photo/galleries/canonet_ql17_manual/index-003.htm

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey this is an old thread sprung to life. :-)

The camera was exhibiting this behaviour in manual mode so it wasn't the meter locking the shutter.

I ended up giving it to the local repair shop and it works fine now.

Thanks!

Ronnie

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration