Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Vito C shutter problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Voigtlander Vito C shutter problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blober
Tinkerer
Username: Blober

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a Vito C off ebay as a small project for myself, I've always wanted to try restore a camera so I bought it cheap off ebay. It apparently has a shutter problem, The shutter stays open after actuation and wont close untill you advance the film lever.

So was just wondering if you guys have any ideas or tips for me?

Cheers!

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 320

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the shutter is a Compur or a Prontor, there are guides to dismantling on the internet - eg http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=compur (he's got a Prontor one somewhere on his website too). How you get the shutter off the camera to do it may depend on the camera, though - others might be able to give better advice. Whatever it is, though, I think you need to dismantle, clean and reassemble the shutter. It's possible that something is broken, but it's more often than not crud in the works doing it - a bit of extra friction can make a surprising difference.

I briefly had a Vito C - lovely to use, with a viewfinder you can climb into and shelter in on a rainy day. So big you can use it with glasses on, without needing an eyecup. So a good choice. Good luck!

Blober
Tinkerer
Username: Blober

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for that link, I just recived the camera today and I think I know the problem, someone has WD-40'ed it.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 323

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear...

Sounds as though it was already a bit sluggish, and someone has made it worse! On the bright side, everything should unscrew now... You will have to wash everything in copious quantities of naphtha/Ronsonol/whatever it's called where you are until all the WD40 has been washed out (apologies if you already know this), as shutters are generally designed to work dry, or with very minimal lubrication.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration