Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord TLR viewing lens adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleicord TLR viewing lens adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sander1981
Tinkerer
Username: Sander1981

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 03:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear all,

I have a rolleicord III model K3B. The taking lens seems OK, but the viewing lens is loose. I guess it needs adjusting and then needs to be fixed by a screw or whatever is needed to keep it where it belongs.

My question in this: Can I trust the taking lens (is it usually calibrated on the scale on the focussing knob)?
Is it then possible to adjust the viewing lens by placing things in front of the camera at distances similar to the focussing knob and then make sure that everything is sharp?
If so, do I measure the distance from the lens to the object or from the backplate to the object? Or is this nonsens, and I need to focus to infinity?
I'm asking all these questions because I have read some threads here about adjusting focus, but they all seems to be about the taking lens, which in my case doesn't need any I think...

Best,

Sander

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Distances should be measured to the film plane - effectively the back of the camera. The taking lens should agree with the focusing scale unless it has been messed with. What I would do is set the focus to infinity and adjust the viewing lens to focus on a distant object, say more than 200 yards away. Then repeat for something say 10 feet away, hopefully they should agree. Then I would put a film through it focusing on objects at various measured distances. I'm not sure on this camera how to refix the viewing lens, there may be a screw under the leather covering.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1131

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never trust engraved distance numbers. You can check the taking lens at infinity http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-123.html and set the focus knob to match (yes, the knob is adjustable - an excellent reason not to trust it, but there are others). Once you have that set, then set up the camera with a groundglass in the film plane and compare the image there to the one in the viewfinder. What matters is that they match each other, not that they match an engraved number that you'll never look at while shooting.

I have notes on adjusting the viewing lens of the Rolleicord (based on the IV, but I think the III should be very similar). Email me at rick_oleson@yahoo.com and I'll send you a copy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration