Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak no.2 folding hawk eye model B Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kodak no.2 folding hawk eye model B « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anadi
Tinkerer
Username: Anadi

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 01:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have looked through the archives, and so far found two recommendations regarding people who make bellows replacements for antique cameras. However, John Craig has recently died, and the other gentleman from Hawaii seems to no longer be trading. Does any one have a further suggestion? I have a Kodak, No. 2 Folding Hawk Eye model B.

I have taken it to one repair man who dismissed it (and me), expressing that all of these cameras are worthless and not worth the cost of bellows replacement. However the camera is worth a great deal to me, and I would like to see it functioning again. It was my grandmother's first camera, she bought it in 1926.
As a small kid in the 1960s I used to walk all over grandma's farm looking at the world through the view finder. I was fond of the farm, fond of the camera and fond of grandma. The camera is the only one left.

As an introduction to the forum, My name is Anadi. I have a several home-made pinhole cameras, and darkroom at home that doubles as a basement storage area.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 240

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THere is this company in the UK:
http://www.custombellows.co.uk/products.html

But I don't know if they are still doing business it looks like their website has not been updated for quite a while. But I guess for the price of an email you can find out.

Regards
Martin

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How bad is the bellows on the camera? Small pinholes can be easily filled with black fabric paint obtained from about any crafts store. Larger holes can often be fixed with black silicone or a product called liquid electrical tape.

If you do a search on "replacement bellows" on ebay you will find some listed at 2 for $15. You will need to make some measurements to be sure you get the right size.

On the old Kodaks, the bellows are held in place in the back by about six bendable tabs. The front end is usually secured by some rivets which can be drilled out, and possibly by some glue as well. So, it is not a trivial task to replace them, but if you take the job to someone familiar with the process it should still be quite a bit cheaper than having custom bellows made at a cost around $50 to $100.

It is actually rather rare that the old Kodaks have serious bellows problems as very good quality materials were used for bellows construction. You can likely find the same model camera as the one you have in good condition for $10 or less on ebay.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 87

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The past 2 years i had bellows made by Custombellows in the UK and by Sandeha Lynch in the UK. Both for Agfa Isolette bellows which are quite easy to replace. The address of Custombellows is allready shown some postings earlier. A webpage from Sandeha Lynch you can find here :
Sandeha Lynch bellows

Bear in mind that if they are able to make bellows for you they probably want to have your cameras old bellows as a reference.

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Post Number: 50

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Turner bellows http://turnerbellows.com/photographic_bellows.html

Anadi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! I really appreciate all the responses and the help. Thanks!

Anadi

Beamascope
Tinkerer
Username: Beamascope

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have this camera and have done some research into new bellows for it. Here is a link to the part number finder... http://www.craigcamera.com/research_KodakBellows.htm
and a link to what I am almost certain are the bellows you and I need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120603819811&ssPageName=STRK: MEWAX:IT#ht_3936wt_934
I actually painted my bellows with liquid electrical tape a few years back. It worked great and the camera has no light leaks but it can't be folded up unless I replace the bellows. Good luck

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 81

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried the liquid tape on an Ansco Viking, and the problem with it is it pulled away from the areas it was applied after I closed the camera then opened it up. Guess it won't adhere to the paper type of material that Agfa/Ansco used for their bellows. I'm going to try the fabric paint next.
Then a new one from Sandeha.

PF

Anadi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought the 15$ bellows of off ebay. It appears that they are sold as a set of 3 !! This is probably a good thing, as I have broken a lot things in my life while trying to "repair" them.

The current bellows are completely open along all four corner, as well as having additional tears.

Cheers

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration