Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cononet QL17 Loose Neck-strap Attachm... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Cononet QL17 Loose Neck-strap Attachment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tomw
Tinkerer
Username: Tomw

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello -

I have a QL17 GIII that is darn near mint but the right-side neck strap attachment point is really quite loose (is probably pulled out a couple millimeters and wiggles around quite a bit). I'm hesitant to take the camera out cause I keep thinking that the neck strap is going to pull out of the body and my camera's going to come crashing down.

Anyone know what this looks like from the inside? Can it be tightened easily, or at all?

Thanks!

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 59

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just finished overhauling a Canonet and had a look at the strap lugs. On my camera at least, they look to be press fit into the body. I couldn't see a fastener on the back side. Removing the top is quite easy on this camera if you want to check for yourself.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 80

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The strap lugs on this camera, like most, are held in by long screws that are visible once you have the top cover removed. Tightening them up may solve your problem, but many times the threads in the strap lugs are damaged. I prefer to replace the strap lugs if possible but on cameras where these parts are no longer available, I would at least put the screws in with a thread sealer.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 60

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really? I didn't see anything on the backside of the lugs. Do the screws you are referring to act as a set screw, so they run perpendicular to the axis of the lug?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 81

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, they run perpendicular to the lug. They aren't really set screws, they run all the way through the lug, probably about 10mm or so in length.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 61

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, I can't believe I missed that. Sorry if I misled the OP. I guess now we both know!

Tomw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great! Thanks for the advice. I'll pull the top off the Canonet this week and have a look.

Tomw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Worked great. Thanks for the tips @Brcamera.

@Waynemel: I took me a minute to figure out because the tightening screw runs vertically down from they top and serves the double-purpose of also securing the film-winding assembly bracket to the camera body. Camouflaged!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration