Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Graphex Full Synchromatic repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Graphex Full Synchromatic repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rsrinivas
Tinkerer
Username: Rsrinivas

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi:

I just acquired an Optar 135 with a Graphex Full Synchromatic shutter made by Wollensak. I looked here (http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=graphex) for instructions and the shutter does not match what I have. The one that I have looks like this - http://www.flickr.com/photos/raulm/3075364179/

The issue is that the shutter opens as if by slow motion and needs to be CLA-ed. The instructions call for removing two screws from the faceplate in order to remove it. This shutter does not have any screws on its faceplate. How should I go about it?

Thanks,
Srinivas

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 93

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen somewhere in the manual here : Graphex shutters
that there are also Graphex shutters were you have to rotate the faceplate Counterclockwise to remove. Guess that you first have to take the frontlens out.

Hope a Graflex expert can tell you more. That manual is very detailed so worth reading.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 79

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To remove the faceplate and shutter speed control ring from your shutter, just unscrew the front element and you will see a retaining ring with two holes that you can remove with a spanner. You can then take off the faceplate and speed control ring.

Rsrinivas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My thanks go to both of you. The link to the manual works and mine looks like the #2/#3 shutter referred to in the manual.

I was able to remove the faceplate by removing the retaining ring. Since this is my very first CLA, I would like to know what fluid to use for cleaning and lubing. Is it recommended to use naphtha/lighter fluid for cleaning? What about for lubing? Also, the pictures in the manual have the word "GL" pointing to various parts. What does that mean?

Rsrinivas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw on Dan Mitchell's site that "GL" meant Lubrication with Grease. Is there a specific grease to use?

Rsrinivas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The strangest thing happened when I opened the nameplate up and removed the speed cam disk to inspect the goodies inside. I put the shutter back together after confirming that the parts matched the docs, and now it works fine all of a sudden. No more slo-mo and the speeds seem to be about right. I wonder why...

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 94

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 04:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm...., don't know either but in that Graphex shutters manual is somewere written that you have to watch for that you don't re-install that faceplate too tight otherwise there is a risk that it pushes against the mechanics.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration