Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spotmatic SP500 Take Up Spool Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Spotmatic SP500 Take Up Spool Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 243

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

my Spotmatic SP 500 has a problem with the take-up spool. It does not rotate when winding. The sprocket wheels rotate as they should. Is there some kind of clutch that needs to be looked after? And if so where should I begin? Taking the top off or should I start looking under the bottom plate?
Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and regards
Martin

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 32

Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try removing the bottom cover first. Check the rewind button to see if it is pushed in or out. Wind the camera & see if the botton pops up & the take it from there, as this disengages the sprockets and take up spool from the advancing mechanism.
Pentax Spotmatic cameras require more servicing than people realize they run dry on the curtain rollers & the shutter control mechanism. There are two basic styles of focal plane systems, there are others but in general use, the Leica drum & the Exacta twin rollers. The twin rollers just mimicked the drum system through gears.
For what it is worth, a little information tossed into the arena.

Old_school
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will warn you,hope this is not late, the screw on the exposure counter is a Left Hand Thread & it is not forgiving it is under the counter cover that is held on by three set screws. It will shear the head right off with very little torque. So if you are going into the top section be careful on that one. They did that to show any tampering of the unit.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 244

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old School,

thanks for your hints - especially the one on the left hand screw. I have not started taking anything apart so it was not too late.
Thanks for the moment - I will post any success (or lack of) when I tried on the camera.
Best regards
Martin

Old_school
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Msigel:
I looked for a while to find an exploded view that might be useful to you & found this one may help:
Got to the the top of the page & down load from "Repair Manuals" the Canon 7 manual, or just view it. If you go to 14.TIF there ia a good view of the basic spool take up on an average older 35mm, it can't hurt to have a general view. The shutter system on this model 7 Canon is of the Leica drum though & not as will be in the Pentax which is of the Exacta style.

Hope this helps!

Old_school
Tinkerer

Post Number: 51

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M:

Are you still there?
I found an exploded view of a Spotmatic.
The item # 27 defined as a Take-up Spool friction spring.
The shaft goes all the way through to the top side.
Try checking the bottom four gears & lever mechanisims. Small lever is for the rewind disengaging the sprokets, make sure it pops back snappy after being depressed & than advancing.
That bottom longer lever cocks the mirror box via a pin in the elongated slot. Check & see if the screw directly on the spool shaft is tight.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 246

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 04:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old School:
First of all sorry for not having resonded to your posting of May 15th. I did not see it.
Thanks also for your recent posting. I did not yet take the bottom off but will do it the next few days.
What I can tell without the bottom cover off is that the sprockets work as they should - they rotate when winding and disengage when pushing the rewind lock bottom in.
Only thing that does not rotate is the plastic part of the take up spool.
Mirror and shutter work fine.
I will post more once I have taken the bottom cover off and had a look.
Thanks for all your efforts.
Regards
Martin

Old_school
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/27578/Asahi%20Pentax_Spatmatic.html

Thank Finnegan for the link!

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 248

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration