Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Welta Weltini II focusing helical CLA? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Welta Weltini II focusing helical CLA? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Foto4fun
Tinkerer
Username: Foto4fun

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I have a weltini II with a stiff focusing helical. I would very appreciate any tips or instruction on how to disassemble and relube the helical.

I thank you in advance.
David

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 139

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done that repair on a Welti 1C, which I think is built much like the Weltini. Also a few Karats and Retinas.

There may be a linkage to disconnect for the rangefinder. The shutter itself does not need to be opened from the front, but the whole shutter does have to be taken off the front standard. The ring nut holding the shutter on the camera will have to be removed, which is easy if you have a proper (adjustable) lens spanner. The top cover may need to come off to de-couple the rangefinder.

General advice: make sketches to help you remember how things come off, especially shims between the shutter and the body. Also, proceed slowly and carefully when removing the helical parts, and make notes as to exactly where they separate relative to each other. That's so you know where the correct thread entrance is for re-assembly. If you forget, it is very tedious job to find the correct position by checking the image at the film plane.

Clean off the old grease and re-lube with a little clear silicone grease. If there are friction areas which you cannot actually separate (like where the focus ring swivels on the body), wicking in a very small amount of regular motor oil can make it feel smooth again. Very small amouns of "3 in 1" oil is fine for the pivots of the shutter release, rangefinder and winding mechanisms.

Foto4fun
Tinkerer
Username: Foto4fun

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Scott.
Yeah, your Welti 1C looks similar to my Weltini. I found this post (https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6901/3176.html) on how to open the top plate.

BTW, if I need to remove the front group to clean the shutter, do I just turn it ccw?

David

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 140

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, all threads are normal, incl. the lens threads. I think the only places I recall seeing reverse (left-hand) threads are on the advance axels on some cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration