Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax 67 shutter sticking Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax 67 shutter sticking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sangetsu
Tinkerer
Username: Sangetsu

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My old Pentax 67 is giving me shutter trouble. The shutter operates at "B", "X", and 1/1000th, but it sticks open at all other settings. When stuck, turning the dial to one of the above three settings will release the shutter. Occasionally the shutter works normally, but never for more than a few frames. I have checked the battery contacts, and tried a couple of new batteries, the battery check light illuminates properly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 86

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the shutter speed rotary switch may be the problem. It's composed of a wiper and various resistors. The B,X,and 1000 resistor pads happen to be adjacent to each other. After removing the "rewind" side top cover you can access the switch for cleaning of the wiper and pads- this is where I would start

Sangetsu
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much, I'll give that a try tonight when I get home. If anyone has any other possible advice, I would like to hear it,

Sangetsu
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, the shutter is now working. Thanks Brcamera for your advice, cleaning the contacts seemed to do the trick.

Brcamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 87

Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to be of help. The Pentax 6x7 body in terms of electronics is rather simple. Basically a charged capacitor timing system. In fact, the shutter/mirror release is actually mechanical, electronics being used only to time out the shutter. Crude by standards of today, but it worked fine for 1969.

Funkyneto
Tinkerer
Username: Funkyneto

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Im having a similiar issue when i have my 67 set to a 250 shutter speed. My question is, what does the "rewind" side represent? Does this mean the top of the camera where the shutter knob is? Thanks.

Brcamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 130

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at the camera from the back, the "rewind side" would be to the left where the shutter speed control knob is located. Most 35mm cameras have the rewind knob in this place so it is typically called the rewind side of the camera. Of course, the 6x7 does not have a rewind knob!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration