Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE Puzzler Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FE Puzzler « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 91

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, here's one for you. I have a Nikon FE I purchased in lightly used condition about a year ago, and I've used it lightly since. It had been sitting for about a month or so when I picked it up yesterday. I tripped the shutter a couple of times, looked down and saw that it was set to "M90", the default mechinical setting, then clicked it up to the next seting -- 8 seconds. Tripped the shutter, mirror goes upand stays up like it's supposed to, but then after 8 seconds, it doesn't go back down. Hrm . . . I turn it to M90 and the mirror drops and shutter closes. Come to find out it does this on all settings. I check the battery light and it's nice and bright. I pull the batteries anyway. Turns out the FE works that way when it doesn't have batteries or when they're dead -- shutter goes up and stays up, that is.

So I check the batteries, and they're fine, so I put them back in and mess with the camera some more, and then suddenly all speeds are the same as M90 -- except B of course. Well, when I say all, I mean all that I can tell, from 8 seconds to about 1/125. So I keep tripping the shutter and changing the shutter setting, doing this maybe fifty times or so, and then suddenly it's back to normal -- or almost. That is, if I set it to 1 second, I get a 1 second timed shutter opening, 8 seconds, the same. But I notice that maybe every five or so actuations I'll get an M90 mixed in with the actual shutter times. But the more I do it, the fewer spurious M90s. So, now, the camera is back to normal. For now. Kinda makes me wonder what caused this, first of all, and second, when is it gonna happen again. Ideas?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 91

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the speed selector switch has gotten dirty/corroded from sitting around so long, and your excersizing the camera has cleaned it up somewhat. Keep working the camera to overcome this, and do it at least once a month if it is going to sit long periods again.

PF

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 58

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cooltouch: I second Br1078lum's suggestion. Sound's as though your camera has become complacent and forgotten its role in life. It probably needs fresh air, sunshine and plenty of hard work.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 93

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, guys. Guess I better load it up with some film and put it into my regular camera rotation. Glad this sounds like that's all it was, but it makes sense.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration