Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stiff sliding cover on Ikonta red window Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Stiff sliding cover on Ikonta red window « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt_mcg
Tinkerer
Username: Matt_mcg

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I've a Super Ikonta A, with the red windows on the rear for film advance. There's a sliding metal cover over the windows which is extremely stiff. I can just about slide it back and forth if I use an implement to do it [it's too stiff to do it with thumb alone].

Is there any easy way to clean/lubricate this? I'm guessing it's gummed up with dirt/corrosion as it feels gritty and stiff as I push it. I can't see any obvious way to get access to it internally.

I'm planning to just work it back and forth with a little light lubricant [servisol/wd40, that sort of thing], but won't if there's any reason not to.

Thanks!

Matt

P.S> the foam inside the red windows is in poor condition, but I've replaced seals before and already have some suitable black foam.

Photographer_x
Tinkerer
Username: Photographer_x

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually a few squirts of lighter fluid will flush out the grit or dust. After that a few sprays of electronics cleaner, the type that is not greasy. If the metal has had a "tap" or micro dent it will not slide freely no matter what you clean it with.

P.S.: There is no foam in an Ikonta. Hadn't been invented yet.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 94

Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And keep the WD-40 (or equivilent) away from it.

PF

Matt_mcg
Tinkerer
Username: Matt_mcg

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I'll try the lighter fluid + electronics cleaner method. I have some of the non-greasy type already.

There is a foam-like substance around the red windows in mine. It's fairly shredded and decayed, so I suppose it might be some black velvet or felt, rather than foam. Or, perhaps someone added it after the fact. I've run a couple of rolls through the cameras with no apparent light leaks, so it doesn't seem to matter that the 'foam' is in poor condition.

I've not shot any fast film, but the slower film I've used doesn't seem to have been fogged with the sliding cover left open.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 110

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be careful shooting fast film (400 +)with a red window. Light will leak through the backing paper and expose the film.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration