Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F and F2 slow speeds Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon F and F2 slow speeds « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dsides
Tinkerer
Username: Dsides

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have or know where I can find some instructions on how to access the slow speed escapement on a Nikon F and F2? I have two F's and an F2 with slow speeds that are around 1/8th to 1/2 sec. on various slow speeds (other than 1/8th and 1/2).

More importantly, SHOULD I access the slow speed escapement to clean it myself in the first place? I found one reference to having to remove the mirror box, and that is why I'd like specific instructions on how to do it.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 39

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D:

To get to the governor in both of those models & for most SLR cameras requires pulling out the mirror box assembly, by removing the top plates, bottom, leatherette, & fornt lens board. For a basic on the shutter system on both of these check out: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/repairmanuals.html

the above or at the top of the page click on the Repair Manuals & download the one for the Canon 7S ( It is a rangefinder, but the basics are there for you to view). By the way the shutter curtains on those are not very thick or forgiving titanium foil.
The one nice thing is there are not any meter linkages to deal with as they are straight forward mechanical cameras & with proper care will go on & on.
How much experience do you have and how much patience? If you like these cameras send them out for a complete servicing & find something else to tinker with to learn on at this time.

Dsides
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much! I've repaired numerous cameras - however, I've never successfully replaced a mirror box... Then again, I was flying blind when I did it.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 42

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 06:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D:
Take a look through the repair manuals on the site here & see if that helps. The best I have seen at this time is the minolta srt 101 & the topcon super D & the topcon has the metering system more than anything, but the shutter system is the Leica drum style as used in the F & F2, the minolta & maybe the om1 olympus have the exata system & some exploded views as to where the assemblies go together. I was hoping to find something that did not have the metering clutter for you, but did not see on on a quick scan. Maybe some day I'll do a video as to what is inside these units & how the basics work or are supposed to work.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 257

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to this site:

http://arcticwolfs.net/

and follow the links within to the PDF of the Nikon F service manual.

I have had an F apart, and it disassembled pretty well. I was able to take the mirror box out without huge mishaps, and was able to limber up the low speed escapement with relative ease. I think that given time I could have put the F back together again, but found that the camera had gotten moisture inside, and required too much work to warrant the effort given that I didn't need the body.

Dsides
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so very much!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration