Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya C330S focus screen Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Mamiya C330S focus screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 128

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone out there know where one of my customers can find this focusing screen? He states that the C330 screen is "not compatible with the S"! Help anyone? Art @ www.flcamerarepair.com

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 254

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What screen are you looking for?

As a repairmen you should be able to make it fit one way or another.

Is it size or the frame it sits in that's not compatable?

I have a C330 Pro S, not the other so I don't know the difference without seeing it.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 88

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The C330S screen, Mamiya part number 216-623 is quite different from the standard C330 screen. The S screen is larger so unfortunately the C330 screens can not be modified to fit. If you need new screens for C330S, I do have new old stock, please PM me.
Bill

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 255

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the S is larger, you can't cut the plastic screen to fit the C330?... is it glass?

I've ground small amounts off glass on my belt sander using a fine grit emery belt.

How much larger it?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 90

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, anything is possible if you really want to spend lots of time and energy on it, but putting the C330S screen in a C330 would be quite a challenge as the S screen is a bit thicker (.080") as compared to the C330 screen (.063") so it will not fit under the clamps in the C330 frame and the focus plane would change.
The screens are made of plastic and could be cut, but for the above reasons, it probably would not be a worthwhile project.
I have attached photos of the screens to show the dimensional differences. c330

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 256

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, I see the difference now. The thickness is not a problem, you can refocus the screens to the film plane. Getting it under the clip may require some milling, and yes, that is way too much work unless you are retired n have nothing else to do.

BTW I had an idea how to clean the screens but haven't tried it yet, what do you think?

Since the screens are plastic, they are acid proof. How about giving em a bath in some battery acid to eat off the organic dirt, then a nice wash in distilled water? That should clean it right down to the smallest of grooves in the fresnell.

Let me check my junk box I may have a 330 screen, the shape looks very familiar.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 257

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OH and the screens focusing surface is the critical plane, not the overll thckness of the screen. As long as the new screen sits on the same plane there is no need to refocus.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 259

Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look what I found for ya?

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=1300590

2 screens for sale, $20.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration