Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 201 - Shutter curtains do... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta SRT 201 - Shutter curtains don't close completely « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dmcosta
Tinkerer
Username: Dmcosta

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.
I have a Minolta SRT 201, and up until 2 years it worked great, no problems at all, I just had to change batteries.

But now, almost every time I take a photo, there's a vertical "white stripe" on the right side. I suspected that stripe was from overexposure and I was right.

With the back open and no film, I've fired the shutter on low speeds and I can see that the shutter curtains, sometimes (70%), don't fully close . Leaving a small opening witch causes a vertical white stripe due to over exposure.

In my country I've looked everywhere but there are no repairmen that are willing to try and fix this... Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 46

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D:

If you think you want to look into this yourself, check out the listing above: "Repair Manuals" & look at the information in the SRT 101 AS I recall the difference between the models is the 201 does not have a self timer. If this is on the slow speeds, above 60th/second seem to be fine, than most likely the governor is dry of lubricant or dirt ... is causing it to hang up. Where are you that no one wants to service or help out anyway?

Dmcosta
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not just on the slow speeds... On the high speeds the curtains don't fully close too. I'm in Portugal. I have to look better, but the camera repair shops I've been "don't like" older models like mine. They just say: "This is going to cost you, and why the hell you want to repair this? Buy a digital camera!" So you can see why I don't want to leave my camera with these guys... :-)

I'll take a look at the documentation, if I see that it's too tricky... I'll try and find a repairman that knows its stuff...

Thanks!

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 284

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fault is probably with the second curtain brake. A full clean and adjustment will be required.

Dmcosta
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you give some tips on how to clean it? I mean with what? And should I use some kind of lubricant?

Thanks for the help!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration