Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AT-1 film advance repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon AT-1 film advance repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rickame
Tinkerer
Username: Rickame

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 03, 2011 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi...first post here...I've had an Canon AT-1 for 35 years and now my teen daughter would like to learn and use..Just recently we have not been able to advance the film lever...just won't wind. I notice a small wire like end protruding about 1/8 inch between the body and the film cover (have to open to see) and in the channel where the seal goes and directly under the film lever...Is this a broken or misplaced spring. Any advice on where to get a diagram and/or parts to repair as I'd like to keep this great old manual active in the family. I could upload a picture if that would help...Thanks, Rick

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 930

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 03:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The small 'lever' you see is the actuator for the film counter zero return. I suspect that your trouble stems from 35 years alternating between activity and a much larger proportion of inactivity, without ever seeing a service bench. The camera probably has a fully cocked shutter, thus the usual jammed up A series release mechanism - presuming the obvious battery has been looked at?

If you search the archives you will find plenty of details on sorting out the A series problems - common fault is the sticking of the 'pole pieces' on the electromagnetic switches in the base of the body - depending on your confidence in DIY, you should be able to sort out the switch problem.

A competent repairman will sort this out quickly, the cost will be more than the value of the camera, but can you guarantee that the online purchased replacement will be in any better condition? These cameras are worth keeping going, especially if one has a few FD lenses knocking about.

Rickame
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for reply...you are correct in this camera not seeing a service bench:-) but battery only runs the light meter...can you tell me if the mechanism is the same on AT-1 as well as other AE-1s, as I've not been able to find info about this problem yet...any help with a link to diagram and solution as I'm comfy with trying DIY...and last, so that wire appears whenever fully cocked...strange since it seems to come thru where the body seal would be...I'm assuming ist somehow brok...any more advice appreciated...thanks

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 92

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn's comments on the AT-1 are right on. First check the battery as the shutter will not operate with a weak or dead battery on this camera. Although shutter speeds and f stops are set manual on the AT-1, shutter release is dependent on an electromagnet. The AT-1 is very similar to other A series cameras mechanically. As for the part you see sticking through between the body and top cover, it is the counter release lever as identified earlier- the body light seal stops at one side of the lever and then continues again, most SLR cameras use this design.

Rickame
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do stand corrected..it was the battery...I thought I had checked it and the meeter moved up but not all the way...now the shutter works fine...I'm going to get a seal kit and buy 3 body screws and turn it over to my teen daughter..I believe a seal kit from Jon Goodman would be reliable (ebay:interslice), you think? and found screws for ae-1 (thefotogeeks.com, only place i could find for ae-1 and will check if they are the same, you think?) anything else I ought to do? thanks much for patience with newbie:-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration