Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super missing frames Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax ME Super missing frames « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aboynamedwilly
Tinkerer
Username: Aboynamedwilly

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I've been using my father's Pentax ME Super for the last 3 years. Never had any problems with it. Great camera. It's never really had a good cleaning, though. Last year I started noticing that every roll of film would be missing two frames or so that would have no information on the film whatsoever. More recently it's gone up to 7 or 8 frames, and now the last roll I took it was 13 frames missing. The thing is that if I take off the lens and open the back and wind and fire it, it never gets stuck or doesnt fire, no matter how many times i push it. Yet when its closed it happens one time out of three. Anyone have a clue?

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 72

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A:
First, check the battery contacts to see if they are clean. Use an eraser from a pencil or preferred an ink or old typewriter eraser. The contact will get a layer of oxides that you sometimes can not see & that becomes an insulator or extra resistance taking energy away from the camera. Next, if that does not work, pull off the bottom plate and see if there is a brass shim glued to the inside of the bottom plate. This was a modification for that potential problem in the ME. But, that may have been to prevent the camera from jamming. I don't recall as that was several years back. Also, make sure to have a fresh source for the battery. A place where the inventory is moving to insure a fresh cell. I will take the cell & run the surfaces over a piece of paper to ensure they are clean of oxides before installing in the device.
With a little luck this might help.

The Best Mike.....

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 95

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good advice on checking the battery as the ME Super will fire at its highest shutter speed (1/2000) with a dead battery and this may be causing what looks like a missed frame due to severe underexposure. If the battery and contacts are OK, that is about all you can check easily as the other items that can cause erratic speeds on the ME Super take a deeper inspection into the camera body with removal of the top cover and mirror box. The issue of erratic shutter speeds can be caused by the memory switch, timing switch or magnet switch. These get dirty or have poor contact from years of use or non-use.

Harry_bee
Tinkerer
Username: Harry_bee

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just picked up a spare ME Super with a sticky shutter, just wondered if this was a related issue. It seems to need a light tap on the second curtain to free the mechanism and complete its cycle. Is there a way I can lubricate this without getting horribly out of my depth?! Sorry if this is a bit OT..

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 96

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, this would most likely not be related to switches. Sounds like a mechanical issue with the shutter or related mechanisms from your description. The blades should be totally dry, no lubrication. Problem could be some oil or sticky substance on the shutter blades. In this case, VERY careful cleaning can be done on the shutter blades but if you are not careful, the blades can bent or damaged and then the shutter is history. If the problem is in the shutter itself, there really is no easy fix short of removing the mirror box and shutter for repair, probably not recommended if you have not had experience and proper tools to do deconstruct the camera!
Bill

Harry_bee
Tinkerer
Username: Harry_bee

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks BRcamera. I'm trying to find me feet with this stuff but maybe it's better I learn on something I'm less attached to. I've read my Tomosy but will save my adventures for something less interesting..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration