Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica TL Electro : Battery ID ? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica TL Electro : Battery ID ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chaffinch
Tinkerer
Username: Chaffinch

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 04:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm read that two models of the Yashica TL-Electro exist, the more common of which takes 2 x 1.3v PX640 mercury batteries (or modern substitutes),and the other a 6v.PX28 or equivalent. I've just acquired a minty copy of the camera but it's without battery and I have no way of determining which battery it takes.

I've read that there's a simple test based on the diameter of the battery compartment: if an AA cell can be inserted then the camera takes the two mercury cells, if the compartment is too small a diameter to admit the AA cell then the 6v battery is required. Can anyone confirm the authenticity of this test?

The interior of the battery compartment displays a polarity diagram in the shape of a single cell. However, I've tried inserting a modern PX628 cell but it seems a fraction long, preventing the battery compartment cap from fitting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 120

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use alkaline PC640A's in my TL Electro and they work just fine. I've handled four of these and I've never seen one which took a PX28. If the battery cap won't go on with a PX28, then I'd say it takes a pair of 640's.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 250

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 06:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine is the type that takes 2x640 cells. However the diagram inside the battery compartment shows only one cell as well. An AA cell can be easily inserted for checking the diameter. The 640ies are roughly 2mm larger in diameter than AA cells. So if you can't insert an AA a 640 won't fit either.
THe PX28 (4SR44) is roughly 13mm in diameter, an AA cell is 13.5mm - 14.5mm in diameter and a 640 is 15.9mm in diameter.
So if your's is the 6V type the thicker 640ies won't go in. In this case only the money for the batteries is lost but if you put a 6V in a 3V camera.... - you certainly read that already.

Hope it helps.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 132

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this the Yashica that has the battery compartment to the left of the viewfinder?

Chaffinch
Tinkerer
Username: Chaffinch

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Donnie and Msiegel. That's clarified it well. Two PX 640A's it shall be. And Chiccolini, that's correct.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration