Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta A5 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta A5 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nodrick
Tinkerer
Username: Nodrick

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have obtained an almost mint Minolta A5 35mm R/F f2.8 40mm lens camera,but the view finder windows are a little dirty,so I would like to clean them(but NOT any silvered mirrors!)
I know how to remove the top I think,but cannot see how to remove the flash hot shoe,as no screws are evident,just the contact.Any advice for safe procedure?- gentlemen/or ladies?!
I would also mention that unusually,I have a model which has the lever wind UNDER the top cover,rather than on top,and a 40mm lens rather than a 45mm-an early production model?
Many thanks,
Francis

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 150

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have fixed a few A5's but mine all had the typical type of advance lever that is screwed onto the axel on the outside of the top cover. Never even seen the model you are describing.

On the models I have repaired, the shoe screws just attach the shoe to the cover-- they don't need to come out in order to lift the cover off.

If you remove the 2 or 3 cover screws in the usual places, and then wiggle the cover, you will probably feel or see where it is still attached.

In addition to screws, there are usually threaded collars holding the cover down at the re-wind axel, and maybe at the advance lever axel, as well.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 246

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Francis,
I have seen an A5 version of the Minoltina AL-s, that may be what you have. It was made later than the original A5 and seems to be somewhat rare.

Nodrick
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanx for the info guys! The hot shoe does not need to be removed(it has a spring loaded leaf contact)so access was by removing the re-wind knob,and the collar attached to the rewind axle,plus two cover screws. I then removed the top cover and cleaned the internal glass areas with iso propyl alcohol,except the half silvered mirror,which I carefully dusted.
All else appeared in good order,so I just re-assembled. It takes excellent photos.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 259

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You never told us which version of the A5 you had.

Nodrick
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: The version of the Minolta A5 that I have-see my first posting ;),
Francis.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration