Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Accessory rangefinder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Accessory rangefinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Papco_instruments
Tinkerer
Username: Papco_instruments

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All
I have a well used Voigtlander accessory rangefinder calibrated in meters (like my Zeiss and Voigtlander cameras). The optical path is cloudy and the beamsplitter is not very distinct. So, I would like to open up the rangefinder, clean the windows, perhaps blow off the mirrors, and align and calibrate the images. I would like some guidance from someone who may have worked on a Voigtlander (before I dive into it).
Thanks

In2classics
Tinkerer
Username: In2classics

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did this with mine and it is quite straightforward. You can remove the main section of the rangefinder by unscrewing the 2 small screws on the front. They are different lengths - be aware of this for when you are putting them back afterwards. The front then slides off.

Once the main part is removed you can clean the inside of the 2 windows quite easily. I used a cotton bud with a little isopropyl alcohol on it. The windows are fixed in place but be careful. They should clean quickly and without trouble.

I was very careful with the mirrored main parts. I used a clean cotton bud with nothing on just to wipe over the surface very gently to remove any dust. The mirrors on mine where pretty clean anyway - most of the dirt was on the windows inside. Don't try cleaning the backs of the mirror. There is no need and you might remove some of the silvered coating and ruin it.

Once this was done, I reassembled the rangefinder.

Calibrating it is easy and you can calibrate the image horizontally without even opening it up. I put the rangefinder on my camera (on a tripod), moved the front to a set distance from the wall with a tape measure (mine is in feet - but something like 1.5 or 2 meters should be fine). I did this in my bathroom and suck a page of newspaper to the tiles with sellotape to use to focus on.

Focus the rangefinder in the usual way on the newsprint until the 2 images coincide. Then hold the middle knob (the one with the red ring) still without losing your setting and whilst holding it still, turn the calibrated distance large dial to the same distance as you have focussed from the wall. Sounds more complicated than it is!

Once this is correct, you have finished. You can adjust the vertical calibration if you need to, but I didn't need to on mine. There is a small hole which has a wax like substance over it underneath the rangefinder to do this. The wax just flicks out. That said I think you might need to remove the cover to get access to the screw (not sure) - you will be able to see it whilst the rangefinder is open. When I'd finished it was just like new. Hope this helps.

Shellsea
Tinkerer
Username: Shellsea

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all
I have one of these and although it's fairly accurate, I'd love to be able to open it up and clean what looks like a spot of fungus growing inside. However, having removed the two small screws on the front, as instructed by In2classics above, I found that no amount of force could prize the two sections apart. Am I missing something? What about the two (unequal) screws on the bottom part, where the rangefinder attaches to the accessory shoe on the camera? Anyone knows what they are for?
Thanks

In2classics
Tinkerer
Username: In2classics

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 12, 2012 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This part is attached to the outer case part of the rangefinder and this piece comes off in one piece so to speak. I had to gently wiggle the outer section whilst holding the flat side piece that you look through, to separate them, but they came apart without too much trouble. Sorry I can't add much else.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration