Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Frozen Battery compartment - Canon EX... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Frozen Battery compartment - Canon EX Auto « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Basselope1
Tinkerer
Username: Basselope1

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up a beautiful Canon EX Auto from Ebay. But I could not get the battery compartment open. I have had some that were difficult but never like this. I used a nickel, then a new dollar coin, then a dollar coin clamped in vise grips. Nothing. Finally I dislocated the battery comaprtment from the base I was pushing down so hard. I took the base off and removed the compartment, clamped it in a rubber lined wedge and vise gripped the lid. Still nothing. WD-40 - nothing. Finally vise grips on one and vise grips on the other. Nothing. After an hour I had managed to scar up the lid and compartment enough that I am now looking for a Canon EX base to replace this one...but the lid is still holding fast. :-) Any suggestions for this kind of trouble in the future? I am assuming the inside must be totally corroded over. Thank you!

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 247

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you try baking soda/water? That worked on one camera of mine with corrosion, but I don't know if it's recommended. I used some lighter fluid to penetrate the threads afterward IIRC, I have no idea if it helped. BTW, as you guessed, the battery chamber was a mess when it was opened.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 87

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Baking soda works for car battery terminals, because they are traditionally a sulfuric acid content. The energy cell used in the cameras & smaller appliances of late are alkaline or other types. The baking soda may not help to naturalize the chemical action.
If it is of the caustic side or alkaline base, you will need an acid to naturalize it. A vinegar or a little mixture of boric acid will work to clean up the chemical actions in the none acid type situation. Then a rinse off with water to cleanse & deactivate either chemicals would be a good idea. Then dry off with a hair dryer to remove any residual moisture.
No guarantees on anything, but do think through the process, before acting. Alkaline burns are nasty so be careful.

The Best Mike....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration