Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Epsillon shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Epsillon shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 151

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Epsillon shutter on an Ensign, and there is a post sticking out of the lens and another post sticking out of the shutter face. One or the other of these has to unscrew in order for the front lens element to unscrew. However, neither one seems to want to go. Does anyone know which one unscrews and whether it is a right hand or left hand thread?

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 182

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure you have to take either out. In the notes I made when I took apart a Ross-Ensign Selfix 820: "Slacken 3 screws in focus-ring and take it off. Unscrew front-element from focusing helical (4 start screw)". I have a photo showing the 2 posts you mention, so yours should be the same.

I didn't make a note of it, and I'm not certain, but I have a recollection that I may have taken out the post in the shutter unit at a later stage in stripping the shutter (using pliers with soft jaws). If I did, it would have been an ordinary RH thread.

Steve_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 183

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correction: I found some more pictures of the shutter, and the post in the shutter unit doesn't have to come out. It stays attached to the shutter front-plate. Possibly it is riveted in, so better not try unscrewing it!

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 152

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you. Does the post on the ring come out?

Steve_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 184

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It doesn't look as though I took it off on mine. I just slackened the screws and took the ring off. Possibly you are hoping that if you can leave the focus-ring in place on the front element you won't have to readjust the focus. It might be worth a try if you can unscrew the post without wrecking anything. The helical was a 4-start screw on mine, so you would want to check where it separates.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration