Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh 500G/Hanimex Compact R viewfind... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ricoh 500G/Hanimex Compact R viewfinder glass loose « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fedupwithdigital
Tinkerer
Username: Fedupwithdigital

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!

I'm repairing a Hanimex Compact R 35mm rangefinder. So far, I've tightened the loose lens barrel, cleaned out the corrosion from a leaky battery and freed up the meter pointer which had frozen at f 5.6.

The viewfinder glass was loose and, in the course of removing the front cover, it came off. I tried gluing it back with Evostick general purpose cement - no joy. I then thought I'd succeeded when I used clear nail varnish. But on re-attaching the leatherette to the front cover, the varnish has let loose and the glass needs to be re-attached again.

Can anyone recommend an adhesive to use for this? The front cover is aluminium and the glass glues directly onto it. There is a degree of flex which is why the nail varnish wouldn't hold.

What should I use?

Thanks for any help you all can give

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would use pliobond or some similar rubber based contact cement. It has the holding power and flexibility you are looking for.

Good luck!

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 96

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike has one good one with pliobond. I find a clear five minute epoxy has some elasticity to it & then there is the UV cements or the crystal cement used to cement watch crystals in place.

The Best Mike...

Fedupwithdigital
Tinkerer
Username: Fedupwithdigital

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice Michael and Mike

About the only place I can get Pliobond seems to be the Micro-tools German website but the postage to the UK doubles the price.

Does anyone know of an equivalent readily available in the UK?

I've googled rubber-based contact adhesive but all I can find so far are large tins for screeding floors before laying lino or vinyl tiles!!

Cheers

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 13

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked up my contact cement jar and it is not pliobond. I can't remember when I last bought pliobond. There are some things I can't remember anymore!

What I am using now is DAP Weldwood Contact Cement which is a ringer for pliobond. This is a US product but I DO remember using different brands of contact cement over the years and not really having a problem finding a pliobond equivalent. I think Weldwood products might be distributed in the UK. This is an 88ml jar but it is sold in much larger containers as it is used widely to attach veneer and also is used to attach laminate and tile flooring, as you have found out.

The product is totally useful in camera repair. It works well in attaching leather, leatherette, fixing the attachment ends of springs, reattaching removed parts originally glued on, such as shutter speed dials, etc.

As it can be repositioned it is much less challenging to use than superglues or fast setting epoxies.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 51

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I normally use silicone glue for this type of job. It's similar to the silicone which is used for sealing baths etc but sold in clear form for decoupage and should be available from craft shops. The box is labelled 3D-kit. Just a thin layer around the outside of the window should hold it, it takes a couple of hours to set but remains flexible.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration