Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fungus on lens??? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Fungus on lens??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Basselope1
Tinkerer
Username: Basselope1

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up a great looking Minolta Hi-Matic E on Ebay. Unfortunately, I believe once you open the camera back, the lens on that side has dots that I am guessing are fungus. Is there anything a semi-competant weekend tinkerer can do about this problem? Many thanks! Don

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 128

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If that back element is held in place by a slotted retaining ring, you can use a spanner to remove it. You can either buy a spanner of the appropriate size (check eBay) or you can make one. Assuming that back element is pretty small, I have seen folks bend fork tines to use for this (bend the two middle tines out of the way with a four-tined fork).

Once you've removed the element, then you want to remove the spots. Start off by just trying some lens cleaner and lens tissue -- just in case it might be something from inside the camera and not fungus. If this doesn't work, you have a couple of ways you can proceed. Some folks like to slather up a lens element with cold cream to remove fungus. Others prefer soaking it overnight in isopropyl alcohol. I've been able to remove rather stubborn fungus just by rubbing the area with my (clean) thumb. Once the stuff is removed, reverse the process for reassembly.

Basselope1
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really appreciate the advice! I have two cameras that have this problem and after trying to remove it with len cleaner then lighter fluid I was afraid I was out of luck. I will try these methods this weeked. Thank you!

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 76

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keep in mind that it may not be fungus. The Hi-Matic E has a bad habit of having internal corrosion. This can take the form of white spots etched into the glass. If that is the case, I'm afraid the lens cannot be cleaned.

Basselope1
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks - I will keep my fingers crossed that it is the fungus. :-)

Chaspics
Tinkerer
Username: Chaspics

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've found this problem where the fungus is between elements that are cemented together. I've been advised by a major optical elements manufacturer that you can separate the elements witha liquid paint stripper, clean, then reglue using optical cement and the correct UV lights. I'll be trying this on a junker over the next week. I'll post my results.

Hank
Tinkerer
Username: Hank

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you put a few drops of optical adhesive on the elements, move each element around to work out any air bubbles. Then make darn sure the elements are perfectly in-line and even before you hit it with the UV

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 135

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What sort of UV light is required? Would regular old sunlight work?

Hank
Tinkerer
Username: Hank

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah sunlight has plenty of uv .... tons of it. But for convenience I purchased a little led UV flashlight off ebay. Cost 12 bucks. Works great.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration