Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIIc meter exchange Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina IIIc meter exchange « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Retina IIIc type 021/2 with a bad shutter but a good light meter and have the opportunity to buy a type 021/1 with the opposite problems at a very good price. Does anyone know whether I can take the working light meter and top cover from the 021/2 and transfer them directly to the 021/1 with the good shutter? I know the light meters are different in the two cameras, but is the meter mount in the same place on both, and do the other controls on the cover (shutter release, counter release and advance) match up?

I don't want to make any changes that can't be reversed, but I would like to have a fully operational camera.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 40

Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day there,
You should be able to swap the meters OK. Obviously the top cover has to match the meter used. The strap bracket from the 021/2 must be used, and possibly also the bracket that holds down the shutter cocking rack, since it may be involved in guiding the shutter release button.
Regards, Chris

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Chris. Within two hours of buying the 021/1 I made the swap of the meter and the top cover from the 021/2. I also had to use the end bracket that holds down the rack, as you suggest, because it has a tab with a hole for the top cover screw.

I was glad I had to transfer the 021/2 bracket because it seems to be better designed and contacts a greater length of the cocking rack, which might prevent some of the looseness that leads to worn rack teeth.

So now I have a completely working IIIc at a very good price. And the conversion is easily reversed, if necessary.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration