Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica FX-2 shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica FX-2 shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Clicksnapwhiz
Tinkerer
Username: Clicksnapwhiz

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I'm considering purchasing a used Yashica FX-2, 50mm, 28mm, and 70-210mm lenses (all Yashica) for $70. It all seems to be in very nice condition (well other than some foam that fell out when I opened the back), but I discovered one issue which has, so far, kept me from purchasing it.

I opened the back to fire off a few shots to check the shutter, but I only saw through the lens every other shot. Is this a shutter issue, or perhaps the mirror is not going up? Alas, I didn't actually look through the viewfinder when doing this, so I don't know if the mirror stayed down.

Since it is in such nice condition otherwise, I'd still like to buy it, but not if the repair is going to be prohibitively expensive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the foam falling out, I would guess that you are going to need to budget a complete servicing of the camera, which was probably bought in the late '70's, used for a few years, and has sat in a drawer for twenty years or so. The light seal foam is just one indication that it has never been serviced.

The FX-2 is a well made all mechanical camera and no more or less prone to the typical faults of it's contemporaries.

The original lubrication will be shot which will affect the operation of the shutter and also the self timer, which is a clockwork mechanism.

The lenses may have had oil migrate to the diaphragm blades. Fixing any of these problems, if they exist, would be straightforward for a camera technician, but it will likely cost more than you propose to spend for the camera.

The only thing that sticks in my memory in repairing this model is that the front standard was sometimes screwed down so tightly, with screws glued in, that I had to occasionally drill them out, which is unpleasant enough to stick in memory.

As for the lenses, the 50mm could be good, better, or best. Most likely it is the good- a DSB f1.9. Better would be the ML f1.7, best, the ML f1.4. The latter two, in great shape, could be worth more than $70. The zoom is of a type and era that would make it worth little. The 28mm is probably a YUS, which would not be worth a lot. The ML 28mm would be more valuable.

I'm not trying to discourage; it's a fine camera and fun to use when returned to working spec. Ratcheted film wind, depth of field preview, and a good base of available used lenses are a big plus.

At this point, if you want to run the camera through the usual tests, let me know and I will give detailed instructions. But be prepared to discover that it well past it's last needed servicing.

Clicksnapwhiz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Michael! This was just the type of advice I was hoping for when I posted my message.

If I understand you correctly, you believe that the shutter issue is likely a lubrication problem that would be solved by having the camera serviced?

I'll be sure to check the aperture blades in the lenses, at least one of which was marked 'ML'.

I will post a follow-up if and when I acquire this gear.

Clicksnapwhiz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased the FX-2 and lenses (50mm f/1.9 DSB, 28mm f/2.8 ML and 70-210mm f/4 DSB) for $60.

I also purchased an FX-3 with a 50mm f/2 ML lens that had just gotten a little wet in the rain (I was at an outdoor arts and crafts festival that features many 'antique' vendors) and was missing most of the material covering the body for $20.

The FX-2 also came with a Soligor MK-9A flash and the FX-3 came with a Yashica CS-201 flash and a Gossen Lunasix 3 meter.

After getting my goodies home, I discovered that the issue with the FX-2 only occurs at the 1/60 shutter speed and it is the mirror that seems to be the problem. The mirror goes up and stays up on the first shot and does not come down until the next shot is taken.

Overall I'm delighted with my purchases, and would appreciate any advice on the mirror issue with the FX-2.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 19

Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror issue probably relates back to the shutter. If the second curtain does not travel with enough force, it does not reset the mirror. You can test this by removing the lens, grasping the curtain lightly between finger and thumb, and gently moving the curtain toward the rewind side of the camera. The mirror should reset.

It is a symptom of needed shutter service.

Clicksnapwhiz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, August 01, 2011 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Michael!

I am able to move the curtain a short distance in the rewind direction, but the mirror stays in the up position.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration