Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM faulty meter. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FM faulty meter. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pityacka
Tinkerer
Username: Pityacka

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2011 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done a quick search here re this problem, but cannot find anything relating. Acquired an FM with the meter 'not responding'. One suggestion was to turn the shutter speed dial and the ISO dial frequently. I have found this is now giving a reading from the meter on occasions, but not all the time. Anyone have any suggestions to rectify the problem, apart from taking the camera apart ?

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 139

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2011 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope. It looks like at least partial dismantlement is in your FM's future. But since you're getting some response by cranking those dials, I guess the good news is that there's a strong possibility that all your camera needs is a thorough cleaning.

Pityacka
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 04:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cooltouch, Thanks for that comment. I am not one for dismantling cameras, so that remedy is out for me. I have used the camera with a handheld meter and results were perfect.From the start there was no reaction from the meter, - only the red spot on the -(minus) side. But as I mention by turning the dials I have been getting intermittent readings, both +&-, and some times a 'correct exposure' display, so it looks like a cleaning job, if needs be. With the FM being a mechanical camera I realised when buying it(at a reduced price)that it would still be functional.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 108

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may have already done this, but here it goes.
Start by cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment.
Use an ink eraser, old style typewriter eraser, pencil will work, but not as abrasive, or a glass brush on the contact in the bottom & the threads & inside of the cap.
This is to insure a good clean conduction of current from the energy cell to the meter system. I also take the energy cell & drag it over a piece of paper, business card, on both surfaces, or such to remove any possible oxides on the cell before installing it.

The Best Mike....

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1137

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nikons have a long history of jumpy meters due to wear and/or dirt on the variable resistor that couples to the shutter speed dial. In the FM, I think that resistor is printed on glass, which introduces the added possibility of it being cracked - which would be terminal unless you can scarf a replacement part from another camera. If you're happy using it with a handheld meter, and don't find camera disassembly entertaining, you may be best off to just take the battery out and keep doing what you're doing now. It's an excellent camera, meter or no.

Pityacka
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 06:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old school, and Rick. Thanks for the suggestions and will try re the battery, etc. I have just had the 2nd roll of film back and again everything is 100% with the photographs. I am very pleased with the camera, so much so, I might even consider getting another one.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 143

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pityacka, a point of clarification, if I may. You mentioned "the red spot on the minus side". Now, it is my recollection that the FM uses a needle and has no LEDs. But that the FM2 and FM2n use red LEDs to replace the needle. So it sounds to me that you have an FM2, or am I disremembering the meter display? I ask this because if you do have an FM2, the internals might be substantially different from those of the original FM, and advice might should be adjusted accordingly.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1138

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, the FM and FM2 both use LED indicators. On the FM, they are round dots next to + and - marks in the mask; on the FM2 the LEDs are shaped like +, O and - so that it's easier to read in low light.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration