Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-570 Easy Question - F-stop ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta X-570 Easy Question - F-stop in viewfinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 74

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently picked up a pristine Minolta X-570 that seems to have only one minor glitch. According to the manual, the F-stop should be visible in the bottom of the viewfinder. I see nothing but the black border. Is this illuminated with a small light that has possibly failed? If so, is it an easy fix, or just let it be?

As always, thanks for any information.

Denny

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 250

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe a small mirror/prism fell out of place in the nameplate above the lens?

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 254

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Denny,

it's not illuminated. It's a simple mirror that reflects the f-stop setting of the aperture ring into the viewfinder. Sometimes, if you don't hold the camera in the correct angle it's almost invisible.

The mirror sits above the red dot under the protruding part of the prism housing. Look for a tiny square there.

Also if you block light with your finger when holding the lens the aperture setting might be invisible. Another reason, although not so likely, might be that the aperture imprint on the lens is not in the correct position.

An easy way to check if the mirror is OK:
Remove the lens and look through the finder. The little square below the view finder should be much brighter now and you should be able to see part of the floor in front of you in it.

Rgds
Martin

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you go through the thorough steps posted above and find that the mirror is missing, it isn't really missing- it's somewhere inside your camera, probably down near the bottom, waiting to get jammed in the gears. That is where I have found them before.

If so, try removing the bottom plate and seeing if it drops out.

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 75

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow - Michael, Martin and Mark thanks for the information. I did find a service manual for the X-700 and see how it is supposed to look. If I remove the two screws holding the "Minolta" name plate will the mirror holder be visible? I can't tell from the manual if there are other "things" between the nameplate and mirror holder.

Mark - I don't see the little square, so I suspect it is a mirror issue.

Michael, if I don't find it up above, I'll do as you suggest. I don't think I would have thought of it going that far down, but I really don't know the size of it either.

I think this will be a fun camera to use, but am going to stop winding it until I check the mirror location.

I really appreciate all the advice and knowledge.

Thanks again

Denny

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 251

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It should be apparent when the plate is removed if it's there, Minolta has had a system like that since the SRT 102. I could undo my X-700's front plate to confirm that. I do see the mirror in my window, BTW.

Good that you looked at the X-700 service manual. It isn't too helpful for the X-570 in electronics, but in basic mechanics it is a help.

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 76

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok - good news and confused. The mirror is where it belongs. After removing the Minolta nameplate and adjusting the mask a bit, I have the rectangle, but the view is of the aperture follower instead of the f-stops on the ring, which is about 3/16" further forward. It is like the mirror is aimed too far rearward. The lens is a Minolta MD Rokkor-X (45mm-f1:2).

Since the mirror isn't floating about, I can use the camera as I am not sure which way to deflect the angled lens behind the nameplate to make it "see" further forward. I wonder, due to optics, if I have to deflect it in the opposite direction of where I would like for it to aim.

Any further guidance would be appreciated, but at least I know what it isn't!

Thanks

Denny

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 256

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just checked with my 45/2 on my X-700 and the aperture shows in the right place, nothing unusual about that lens. I wouldn't want to guess what to do from here as I never had to deal with this problem.

Myrra
Tinkerer
Username: Myrra

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, this is funny I've experienced the same problem with an old X-570 I bought (no, for sure not the same one ;-)
I removed the front plate but saw nothing apparent. However, I found that mirror itself is above the little lens pointed at aperture ring (no, the one incorporated in front plate just adjust it, there is another one). Mirror is very tiny sticked to a small metal piece just above the micro lens. This one needed some adjusting using small screwdriver - push it a little here and there, so aperture is visible and is *centered* in its window. Took me about 10-15 minutes to finish. I assume since metal piece is long it get tired over the time and needs some adjusting (maybe that's why there is a front plate so easy removable?)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration