Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica ML 28-85mm Partial Disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica ML 28-85mm Partial Disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Icr
Tinkerer
Username: Icr

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just cleaned up a ML 28-85 Zoom and wanted to share some disassembly tips. Heat and vaporization of lubricants caused haze on the lens elements, requiring disassembly.
1) Set lens NOT in macro mode
2) Set lens to closest focus (any focal length)
3) Loosen rubber grip and slide down a few cm. You should see two screws 180 degrees apart on the barrel.
4) Measure the distance from focus ring to lens flange to ensure correct assembly of the helicoid. I got 4.25mm.
5) Take out the two screws and plastic bushings.
6) Unscrew the front assembly helicoid. Takes about 1/8 turn to come out. Do not move focus ring at all until re-assembly!
7) There are 3 lenses in that front assembly. Start by taking off the cosmetic ring with words and letters. I used heat and a jar lid the exact size placed in a rubber glove.
8) There is a locking ring under the cosmetic ring. Use lens spanner with round tips. There is a spacer between the front two elements. Keep elements in correct order and orientation.
9) to put it back together, screw the helicoid back together and re-measure the distance to make sure you are on the correct threads. Then put the two screws back in.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Icr
Tinkerer
Username: Icr

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW the above gets to 8 glass surfaces only (including the front and rear surfaces). That is all that I needed so I did not go farther with disassembly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration