Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikonta 524/2 center lens element Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zeiss Ikonta 524/2 center lens element « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 153

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to get into the shutter of a Zeiss Ikonta 524/2 for cleaning and I can't get the center lens element out. I figured it just unscrewed, but "righty tighty, lefty loosey" isn't working for me. The shutter is a synchro Compur. Is this left-hand threaded, is it just royally stuck or is there some trick way Zeiss used to get these in?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 154

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone?

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 256

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hans Karensky has a lot of pics on Synchro Compur shutters:
http://tinyurl.com/3dwudjf
I did not see a left hand thread mentioned.

Not much, but maybe he can help.

Rgds
Martin

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 157

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never seen left-hand threads in lens casings.

Does the casing have two notches? If so, then it was desinged to be threaded in and out in the normal fashion.

If it is seized, I suggest applying a very small amount of penetrating oil in the threads around the edge of the casing. Of course, you'd want to make sure not to use so much oil that some might run into the shutter.

On re-assembly, I smear a very, very small amount of stable, hi-temp silicone grease onto the threads. That will prevent it oxidizing and seizing again, in case somebody ever wants to take it apart again.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 103

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charles, all the Compur shutters that i have seen on folders (and eveywhere else) have the normal right hand thread. Guess yours will be no exception.

I never worked on a 6x9 Mess Ikonta but have two of the smaller 524/16 6x6 types.

Just send me a PM with your e-mail and i send you mine so we can exchange images and information.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 155

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I got it done and the owner is very pleased with it. I found out what was wrong. Whoever had it before me had used pliers on it (god knows why) and it was out of round and had burred threads. I straightened it with a lens vise and cleaned up the threads as best I could. Focusing is still stiff, but at least it works now, and should loosen up over time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration