Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Problem with Canon F1N/power winder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Problem with Canon F1N/power winder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Henry455
Tinkerer
Username: Henry455

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Took my mint 1981 model F1N out of storage recently. I am unable to remove the AE power winder from the base of the camera. The attachment screw just spins freely. I removed the battery cover on the power winder and can see the attaching screw shaft is not turning when I turn the screw head on the bottom of the winder. I stored my camera and winder without batterys so Iam unable to replace the camera body's battery with the winder attached. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 948

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From your description it sounds like the head of the attachment screw has sheared off - actually not such an unusual occurrence if you were one of the many people who insisted in tightening the plated brass screw (although I have seen steel ones) down with a large coin.

From memory the retaining screw is retained in the winder by a circlip, but what else the screw abutts against I just cannot remember - obviously the separated head is retained by something and the screw shank is obviously tight against a recess or something in the winder, otherwise the winder would just drop off the camera body.

You need an exploded diagram of the winder to proceed with removal - so that you can see what retains the screw. If the screw shank is retain in the winder by something just under the slotted head, cutting the screw shank that is exposed in the battery in two with a piece of junior hacksaw blade will allow the winder to be lifted off. Your other route would be to drill a large hole in the slotted head in order to expose the end of the shank, this would allow you to drill a hole in the end off the shank to enable a small diameter 'easeout' to be inserted and the screw shank unscrewed.

The turned shape of these retaining screws is such that stress fractures can occur if they are over tightened and left - thus your explanation of placing a sound item into storage and finding it broken much later is easily explained.

Henry455
Tinkerer
Username: Henry455

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, September 05, 2011 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, thanks for your input. I knew I had the option of cutting the screw shank where it passes thru the battery compartment but was hoping for another solution. Do you happen to know where I might find an exploded parts view of the winder?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 950

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the parts section in one of the Canon repair manuals has one, but I cannot be sure.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration