Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax PC35AF shutter release blocked... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax PC35AF shutter release blocked in "down" pos « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Arzitek
Tinkerer
Username: Arzitek

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2011 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I think this is my first post here so good day to all.

I managed to put some other heavy camera equipment in my bag but on top of my poor little PC35AF this week. This weight apparently pushed the red plastic release button down, and now it won't come up by any means. If I put the camera upside down and fiddle a bit, the button comes down sometimes but not the mechanic bits or spring that must live beneath.

I managed to remove the backside of the top cover but this is not where the button release is located, I'd need to remove some part of the front as well to get there, but I can't figure out how?

Kerne
Tinkerer
Username: Kerne

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2011 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same thing happened to mine. I can't take it apart right now and snap photos for you since it's got film in it, but there are screws holding the front cover on inside the film compartment as well as on the side.

I don't recall off the top of my head exactly how it was jammed, but make sure you snap photos of it before and after each step of disassembly for reference.

If I can finish up the roll, I'll try and get some pics of the guts for you.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 110

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2011 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not so sure that this camera qualifies for "classic camera" status yet, but here is what is causing your problem:
You will have to remove the top and bottom covers and also the front cover. The front cover is held on with four screws from the back of the focal plane aperture and one on the side of the camera. If the shutter button is pressed down with the front cover closed, a part called the release hook can slide over the release slide and cause the jammed button. Once you remove the front cover, you will see the release hook and notice how it is forced over the release slide. You should be able to reposition the release hood and free the release slide. This was a common issue with this model, I repaired many of them with this same problem in the 1980's and early 90's. Pentax did come out with a revised release hook that can be installed so that this problem will not come up again. If you decide to fix the camera and need the revised part, send me a PM as I may still have a small supply of the revised parts.
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration