Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Telka III Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Telka III « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 158

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started taking a Telka III's shutter apart today for cleaning. It's odd, but I wasn't really having any trouble until I got to the rear lens element. The thing is seriously recessed and has no notches, so I can't use a lens wrench. I made a friction wrench out of a plastic eraser, but that isn't working either. It has to come out in order to get at the other side of it (where there is oil on the glass) and to get to the center lens element (more oil). Does anyone know how you are supposed to get that lens element out?

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 159

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can get the whole shutter off of the camera, then you might get a better grip on it.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 159

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll give it a shot, but it is still going to be recessed, big time. WHat the hell were these guys thinking, putting the thing that deep in a hole and not putting notches in it for a lens wrench?

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 160

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In some of the simpler (cheaper) cameras of the 40s and 50s that I have repaired (both German and Japanese), certain components (like lens elements) were simply pressed into place. I assumed they have a special jig with a hand lever on the assembly line. That was faster and cheaper than cutting threads in each piece.

They were not meant to be taken apart. In fact, you can't take them apart without destroying the camera.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 106

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are some images of a Telka III repair visible on this site :
http://herlent.daniel.free.fr/reparation/telka_iii/index.html

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 160

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2011 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too bad he doesn't how HOW that rear lens element came out.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 163

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I finally got the rear lens element out. It was cross threaded. However, now I don't see how the center element comes out. It is set in a threaded ring that looks like it ought to just unscrew, but apparently there is more to it than that, because it won't budge.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration