Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon ftb shutter problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon ftb shutter problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Strix1
Tinkerer
Username: Strix1

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I just got a canon ftb and am having trouble with the shutter. The camera will wind and when I press the shutter button the mirror swings up but the shutter curtain never moves. It does nothing. Anyone know how I could go about fixing this? The camera cost next to nothing so I am contemplating trying the repairs myself if someone could get me started in the right direction.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 127

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Strix1: Welcome to the site! If you check on some of the back postings, you will find a lot of information on this unit. Just below the Guestbook is the Search click on that & do a search. A few of us have posted several lengthy articles, Glen & I on a particular one several months back. The plus side is, I think, it is a very good camera to work on as they are very well made. Start by removing the lens & gently push up on the bottom side of the mirror in the "B" setting to see if the shutter release is not being actuated by the mirror. The foam damper or deterioration of it may be a problem under the focusing screen. It is possible a leather shutter brake came loose, the camera is dry, water or sand, inside. Take the bottom plate off & look around at the general condition of it's workings. Take your time & be patient the group will coach you through it. I looked it up for you , it was Cooltouch's ? on slow speed 19 April 2011:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/21508.html?1307847552
The Best Mike....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration