Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic 11 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta Hi-Matic 11 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Irvineshort
Tinkerer
Username: Irvineshort

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 04:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I was tidying up and found one of these in a box. Last time I tried it the shutter would not fire so I forgot about it.

Somehow 6 months in a box had cured the shutter so I fitted a little alkaline cell with the help of a ball of tinfoil and some cardboard and to my delight it came alive and apparently works perfectly.

If I move the thingummy on the lens to "battery check" the needle moves to the right place.

This is a fairly specific place, it is not a range of "OK-ness"

Which makes me wonder - does this meter use a bridge circuit like the Yashica Electro 35, making it immune to input voltage changes?

Also, the viewfinder is quite yellow and hazy. There seems to be a lot of gunk on the inside of the front window.

Any hints and tips for opening this up and cleaning it? What should I avoid touching?

And what is the right tool to unscrew the collar around the rewind handle spindle, and the top of the wind crank?
What else would need to come loose to get the top off?

Cheers,

--Irvine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nodrick
Tinkerer
Username: Nodrick

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect the camera top is much like the Minolta A5 I have-in which case you can unscrew the film rewind axle collar by using a firmly held(Note!)pair of large blunt end tweezers and gently unscrewing-they fitted exactly in my case.Don`t let them slip-danger of big scratches!
This shaft,in the A5 certainly,seems to mainly secure the top cover-in your case,you also might be able to undo and remove the film advance assembly likewise.Then undoing any top cover end screws might result in full access,unless the flash contact is wired-so be careful! The shutter release button is possibly loose fitted,and held in place by the top cover.Note order of removal of any parts!!
I use iso-propyl alcohol(drugstore) on a Q tip to carefully clean, and then wipe(with a new clean Q tip) any plain glass surfaces.This process might be needed more than once,if the glass is very dirty.Any half silvered mirrors I`d leave alone,except for a very careful dry wipe-just to be sure.
I`ve read that alkaline batteries do not give a consistent read out compared to the mercury originals-but hey,colour neg. film is pretty tolerant of errors!
I hope a little of this might help.Best of luck!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration