Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens swap on a canonet ql17 gIII? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Lens swap on a canonet ql17 gIII? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brianentz
Tinkerer
Username: Brianentz

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My new canonet has... fungus. or mold or something. I'm thinking of picking up a canonet being sold for parts so long as the lens is clear. Is a lens swap a pain in the back side?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 139

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are considering swapping out the lens, you can just as easily clean off the fungus and save yourself the purchase of a parts body. Just coat the elements with athletes foot cream, let them sit overnight, and clean it off in the morning. Reassemble, and you're done.

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 140

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One thing I forgot about. The lens on the G III is two cemented pairs of elements, so if the fungus is between the elements of a pair, you may have to replace the lens anyway. But it is amazing how good a photo you can get even with fungus , or dust in the lens. I would shoot it first to determine how much degredation there is to the image.

But first you need to determine if the contamination is on the surface of the elements, or between a pair. You can spend a lot of time and money chasing around trying to get a parts camera. And one way or the other, you are still looking at a teardown to at least clean your lens.

I've not done a G III, but after looking at the drawings, it doesn't appear to be all that hard to disassemble, as long as you have the right tools. Do a search here on the subject, and you will find a lot of information about it.

PF

Brianentz
Tinkerer
Username: Brianentz

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your response. Fungicide, eh? I never heard of that. But I think I will shoot it for a while as you say.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 167

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A 50/50 mix of drug store hydrogen peroxide and grocery store ammonia will kill and remove the fungus quicker and without the mess. You can often see it just melt away and it is a heck of a lot easier to clean up later than athelete's foot cream, cold cream and most of the other solutions you hear about. Just one thing: you need to dillute it to 5% if you are using it on a soft coated lens.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 144

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't know how caustic and smelly a stuff he wanted to use, so the cream treatment is a good substitute. My first one I did that way, I left it on for 24 hours, but eight is really long enough. You could also use the oil from your nose (I tried it, and it works), but it's not as effective for something other than small spots.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration