Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

KEH ratings help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » KEH ratings help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was looking to buy a used lens for my n90s at keh and see they are rated ex ex+ ln ugy bgn
lens I want has two ratings instock bgn and ex with caps,bgn has no mention of caps.does anyone have any experience as to what to expect with the different ratings.as long as everything functions and no scratches or fungus is what I am looking for if ugly is for cosmetic looks only that's ok

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

KEH defines their ratings. Click on the rating for a particular item and you'll get a popup that describes all their ratings: http://www.keh.com/PopupGrade.aspx.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 273

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my experience you'll probably do fine with a bargain lens. I've never gotten one that was optically bad. I'd balk at ugly, which might well have scratches or fungus or other optical defects. I've bought a few bargain lenses and my guess is that the more common the lens, the better off you are with bargain grade. I have gotten a couple of relatively non-exotic bargain lenses that I would have called excellent, but I suppose if you have a whole room full of perfect ones, the one with a little nick in the finish goes in the bargain bin. If you get something rare, you're more likely to get engraving and dings and wear that are obvious.

If it doesn't mention caps, you won't get the caps.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 131

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A: Bargin so far has been good for me, Ugly, would probably be good for parts or something you do not want to worry over if you loose it. I will say not sure on the ugly, as I have not bought anything with that designation yet.
The best Mike...

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have bought BGN as well as UG lenses and accessories from KEH. And all I can say is that they are very reserved with their ratings.

Even the ugly 90mm Elmar and 135mm Ektar lenses I bought had perfect glass, but the lens bodies were in well-used condition.

Heck, I've even bought an "Inoperative" Leica I that was in working condition when I got it.

And they have a no-hassle no-questions-asked return policy.

Alex_rees
Tinkerer
Username: Alex_rees

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

KEH's idea of ugly is my idea of, "Meh, it's sharp and the glass is clean."

As for lens caps, I don't know. I would assume if they're not listed as part of the sale don't expect them. But how hard is it to buy a couple on eBay?

Jac526
Tinkerer
Username: Jac526

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an F100 and 50mm 1.8D from KEH.

Both were rated EX and to me they were literally perfect. I mean basically brand new.

The only caveat I will provide is the body did not come with a body cap and the lens rear cap is just a cheap plastic slip on cover.

While your buying I would just chuck in a couple extra bucks for the caps. You won't regret it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration