Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Problem w/Minolta XD-11 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Problem w/Minolta XD-11 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Grant_hagen
Tinkerer
Username: Grant_hagen

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gentlemen!

I screwed up my XD-11 while trying to clean a sticky diaphram metering ring by slipping the corner of a post card dipped in alcohol under the ring and running it around the ring. The card snagged the spring used to apply counterclockwise tension to the ring and detached it.

When I did some minor disassembly I found that the spring was not broken and I could see where it attached to the ring but I couldn't see any point of attachment for the butt-end of the spring.

I then found a repair manual online and on page 27 it says that the spring should be attached to a spring clip as in figure 59. Well, there isn't any spring clip. I figure that it may have dropped down an open slot that's right behind where this clip is supposed to be and is lost inside the camera.

From figure 59 in the manual, I can't see what the clip looks like or even where it is anchored to the camera. This doesn't look like rocket science, so I figure that I can make something that would perform the same function as the lost clip. The trouble is that I don't know what the clip looks like or even exactly where it is anchored to the camera.

I'm wondering whether someone can post a photo, illustration or a link where I could see this clip in it's proper position.

I'm hoping that the lost clip doesn't short out something or cause any mechanical problems, but there isn't much I can do about it. To disassemble the camera to the point where I might be able to shake it out would probably result in my screwing something up to the point where the camera wouldn't work properly any more, so I'm willing to take my chances just leaving it alone.

Thanks for any assistance!

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm operating only from distant memory here, so bear that in mind.

As I recall, the spring end which attaches to the camera body is attached by a separate simple metal "S" hook. You can certainly make a replacement, but the original is probably still inside the camera, just waiting to jam a gear or two. I'd start by removing the bottom plate and hoping that gravity has done it's job.

Dean
Tinkerer
Username: Dean

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem when replacing the mirror foam. Here is a link to the instructions I used;before getting some hints from Jon Goodman ( use masking tape to tape down the metering ring).

In the 3rd diagram you can see where the long end of the spring attaches - it then goes under the ring and attaches through a small hole at 9 o'clock.(from a failing memory)

A few shakes should get the spring out.

Good luck

Dean

Dean
Tinkerer
Username: Dean

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry here is the link:

http://fotomozaic.ro/artikel.php?s=1&categ=21&idstory=408

Grant_hagen
Tinkerer
Username: Grant_hagen

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your input!

I've had the bottom plate off already, hoping as Michael suggested that the clip might fall out. The openings into the inner body from the bottom are so small that the clip would have to be really tiny to make it through. I don't hear anything rattling around if I shake the camera, but I bet there are plenty of nooks & crannies where something like that could wedge itself.
I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that the clip doesn't jam anything up. I figure that there's less danger in using the camera with the clip in it somewhere than disassembling it to the point necessary to shake it out or pull it out with long tweezers. With the former, there's a chance that the camera's functionality might suffer, where with the latter it's almost a sure thing.

Dean, your link is really good! Great pictures and good instructions on mirror damper foam installation. The pictures there showed that whatever holds the butt-end of the spring seems to be hooked(?) on the edge of that slot that's just above the shaft of the depth of field preview button. That looks a bit different from a pic of the clip from an actual XD-11 that a guy showed me in another forum. He said it clipped onto the metal support post with the screw hole in the top that starts just about on the edge of that slot above the the shaft of the dof preview button.

I don't know why there would be several variations on that spring clip, but sometimes stuff gets changed over the course of the production life of any piece of equipment.

Now that I see approximately where the anchor point for the butt of the spring is supposed to be, I'll try a few things and see what works.

Thanks, guys!

Grant

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 264

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grant,
My explanation over at photo.net may not have been good enough, but Dean's photo #3 shows the correct place where the little anchor hook is attached. Why Minolta left it to be held by tension alone I don't know. From that spot, it could easily fall inside or outside the camera if it comes loose of the spring. At least it's easier to repair than the old thread and pulley system Minolta used to use.

Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration