Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA2 focus stuck and broken Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus XA2 focus stuck and broken « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marcello252
Tinkerer
Username: Marcello252

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I've searched through the thread a problem similar to mine but no luck yet.
A friend of mine gave me a olympus XA2 with the focus stuck in a position between middle and infinity.
I opened the camera, I'v found the leverage that control the focus is broken, I figure out how to fix it (maybe some plastic and glue) but the real problem is the fact the focus lever is completely stuck, even trying hammering it the position remeain fixed, as if it soldered(!).

Is there anything I can do to unblock it?

thank you very much for your help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 260

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I don't know if you have a working XA-2 as comparison if not here a few things to consider:
On a working XA-2 the focusing lever slides down to the "close-up" position with no resistance or any click stops until it reaches it's lower limit. When sliding it back upwards from close-up there is a click stop at the middle position so that you can't accidentally slide it from close-up to infinity. (The middle position is meant as snap-shot setting). So you will have to overcome the resistance of the click stop to set it to infinity. There is probably someting like a spring and ball for the click stop. It's possible that something is blocking that mechanism.
Also note that the focusing mechanism of the XA-2 has a linkage to the sliding cover of the lens. You cannot move the the focusing lever with the lens cover closed. This mechanism also sets the focusing lever back to the middle position when sliding the lens cover shut. So maybe the problem is connected with this linkage or a combination of both like the focusing lever blocking and somebody forcing the lens cover shut.

Not much help I fear.
I think I have a non working XA-2 somewhere. So if needed you can have it for cheap plus postage. Mind that I'm in Austria so shipping outside Europe might be too expensive to make that an interesting option.
Drop me a line if interested and I will check.
Regards
Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration