Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What might cause this? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » What might cause this? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 95

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My meter (Cds, trap needle type) is registering light when the lens cap is on, but it should be at the bottom of the scale, indicating underexposure. But, when the battery is removed, the needle will drop off of the scale, indicating that the needle is not physically impeded. I have checked the wiring, and it seems to be OK. As far as I understand, the Cds is simply a variable resistor, so does this suggest that the Cds itself is bad? Am I getting resistance when I shouldn't be?
If anyone can offer some insight, it would be appreciated.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 82

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can you see the meter needle if the lenscap is on?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 96

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a rangefinder.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 132

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please tell us which camera this is.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 97

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a Konica C35...I started I another thread a while ago, but didn't get much of a response, so I thought I would try a different approach.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 30

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As cds cells age/degrade/fail, the usual symptom is a decrease in resistance, which is the same effect as light on the cell.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 143

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that explains the problem I have on one of my Yashicas. It wouldn't bottom out, reading about f5.6 with the cap on. After a couple of weeks it had fallen to f4, then a couple weeks later, a little lower than that. Guess it was slowly draining the batteries. Why I never got an answer when I asked about it last year, I don't know. Maybe the camera wasn't 'classic' enough for anyone to want to help.

PF

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 236

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or maybe just nobody had seen your post. Un- or rather fortunately most people here have day jobs, lives and so are popping in and out all the time. I for example am on my second week of vacation and won't read all backlogged posts after I come back, so I'll miss questions I'd otherwise answer...

It helps sometimes to 'bump' a topic if it wasn't answered at all in a longer time...

As to the cell in question: it can be dead, or there may be some dirt where it shouldn't be. A CdS cell in low light has very high resistance and the meter's movement is very sensitive, so if there's a path for current to flow through e.g. slightly moist dust, it might be enough to move the needle and suggest a dead cell.

Marek

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 148

Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marek, my post was seen by plenty of people, but no one replied. I have seen this with many other posts by folks who ask questions about cameras that don't fall into the classic category as defined by this forum, although the problem could be the same on a '70s camera as it is on an '80s model.

There are a lot of folks on here who are professionals, and take the time to explain repair proceedures no matter the make or model or year of manufacture. Then there are those who either ignore a request for info, or flat out berate the OP for making a query about a "non-classic" camera. Believe me, I really appreciate the former, and could do a lot less without the latter.

Even though I understand the reasoning behind limiting the discussion to only cameras and equipment made before 1970, it seems to me that the term "classic" needs to be expanded, as we and our equipment get older. If Wayne had said he had a Konica C35 right off the bat, then maybe his question would have been ignored like mine was, although the little Koni is one of the more sought after compact 35mm rangefinders there is. But it is too automatic for the likes of most here, so that puts an unfair knock on it.

I just feel that even though there is a limit as to what constitutes qualifying equipment for discussion, to go a little beyond that is not going to destroy this forum, but make it better. Any help we can give or get is much appreciated by the amateurs here, even if some of us need a little extra guidance once in a while as to the ways of going about recieving that information. I've been involved in repair work of one type or another my entire adult life, and I see no harm in sharing techniques and encouragement when something doesn't fall within the parameters of the forum.

PF

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 102

Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I could chime in....
I re-worded my original post so it would be more of a general inquiry. I was hoping that it would get a better response because it would not exclude people who were not familiar with a specific make and model. I assume this approach worked, and I learned something new. I was not thinking of the period of manufacture of the camera as being an issue.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 274

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sometimes a question goes unanswered simply because nobody who sees it knows the answer.

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 188

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Until recently the forum had an option to show the last 3 days' posts. This meant that as long as you looked every day or two you would see everything. Now the options are 'Last Day' or 'Last Week'. If you bookmark 'Last Week' you get a lot of material you've already seen, so I guess most people bookmark 'Last Day', and unless you look in more than once every 24 hours it is easy to miss questions.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration