Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Can this lens tread be repaired? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Can this lens tread be repaired? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 70

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

It's been a while since I had a chance to tinker with old cameras and lenses. I recently got this Vivitar screwmount 135mm f2.8 lens. It has a still manegable fungus issue that could be easily fixed if the front ring could be removed. But the tread is damaged. I tried to access it from the back but the fungus is between the front 2 elements. Can this be saved?

Here are the pics:

http://images54.fotki.com/v104/photos/4/1233394/10097481/IMGP4375-vi.jpg

http://images59.fotki.com/v222/photos/4/1233394/10097481/IMGP4378-vi.jpg

http://images15.fotki.com/v2/photos/4/1233394/10097481/IMGP4381-vi.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 99

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a look at this link.
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/filterringtool.html
The dent looks pretty bad, but you may be able to correct it enough to get the front element out.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 220

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's beyond straightening, you could cut that section of the filter ring completely out. Sounds drastic but it won't stop you fitting filters in the future. I can't imagine you'll be able to remove the elements any other way than through the front.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 145

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ismael, you should be able to at least get the ring back into round, but the threads in that portion will have to be ground down. Make sure you cover the front element with some painters tape first. Then after you are done, apply a little flat black to eliminate any chance of reflection.

PF

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 957

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get yourself a cheap set of expanding filter ring dent removers from eBay - mine cost £4.00 including postage. The expanding male jaws that fit into the ring are threaded with the correct metric pitch form and stops the threads in the ring being marred. The trick with damaged threads like yours is to grind a positive rake cutting edge onto both ends of one of the jaws so that when you rotate the expanded tool into the damaged area of thread, any 'dinged' area is 'turned' out. Use a drop of thin oil on each jaw when you rotate the tool to reform any damaged threads. Reformed a number of otherwise scrapbin filter rings with this cheap but effective tool.

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 71

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all! Following your advise I was able to get the ring back onto rounder shape. Then I carefully grounded the area with a dremel tool. I work in very small steps to prevent collateral damage. At the end I was able to remove it!

http://images112.fotki.com/v355/photos/4/1233394/10097481/IMGP4388-vi.jpg

When I'm done, a little flat black paint and nothing happened here... almost :-)

Glenn: I'll look for those.

Thanks everybody!
Ismael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration