Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-1 Problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XG-1 Problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sajextryus
Tinkerer
Username: Sajextryus

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently, my sister purchased a used Minolta XG-1 on eBay that was stated to only have a broken film advance lever (it only goes about halfway and it doesn't turn the spool or anything at all). Once she got it, she noticed that the viewfinder was all dark and blurry (since the mirror won't stay down at the full 45 degrees).
She never returned it and it's been a few months. She got herself the Minolta SRT 201 at a flea market a month ago, and let me do whatever to this XG 1 and keep it if I fix it. I've been trying to fix it and have looked all over the Internet for people with similar problems, but I couldn't manage to find any way to fix any of the problems I'm having. I also forgot to mention I can't activate the shutter even with new batteries, but for all I know, I could be doing something incorrectly.
If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 31

Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try using a coin or screwdriver to wind the camera using the motor drive connection at the bottom of the camera.

Sajextryus
Tinkerer
Username: Sajextryus

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried doing that earlier, but it didn't do anything to fix any problems. It did, however, make the lever more stiff for a single push, but it still went no farther, and the spool only moved a little bit if it were rotated to a specific amount.

I tried testing with a flash hooked up to the hotshot. The hot shoe is working and sends an electric signal to the flash when installed, but it won't flash when I press the shutter button.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 32

Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd recommend removing the bottom plate and examining the gears. They are all plastic and are easily stripped/jumped. You can also reset the camera by disengaging the wind lock and attempt winding the camera.

There is a diagram of this of a very similar model in the "Articles" section of this site titled "Resetting cameras".

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration