Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax K1000 Light meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax K1000 Light meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pman
Tinkerer
Username: Pman

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Took out my old Pentax K1000 recently. Everything seems to be working fine, but the light meter is stuck on negative all the time, even without batteries.

This seems to be strange because I remember that the meter would be centered if the batteries were not working. In any case, I replaced the battery with a new one, but the indicator still shows negative. I tried the usual stuff — rotating the shutter and aperture dials continuously, checking the battery compartment after opening the bottom panel and checking the battery status as specified in the K1000 manual (ASA 100, shutter speed 'B' and f16), but nothing happens.

Everything else seems to be fine though. I even finished one roll of film using manual exposure, but having a working light meter would be nice. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Cheers,
Pai

Dgmaley
Tinkerer
Username: Dgmaley

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pai;
Check to see what the light meter does with no battery. It may do the same. Then clean the battery contacts. Finally, make sure the film ASA setting and shutter speed are in a normal range. This light meter will do what you say if they are not.
Dave..

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 118

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the meter needle is stuck in the negative direction without a battery installed, then you have a mechanical issue with the meter movement itself. Either the pivot is damaged, possibly from impact, or there are some particles stuck to the meter magnet (usually you find small metal bits stuck to the magnet) and are preventing the needle from swinging freely.

Pman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dave, the light meter does exactly the same thing without batteries, it is stuck on the negative side, even when I point it at a bright light or change the settings to an acceptable range.

Brcamera, I think what you say sounds like the issue. The needle moves very slightly when I turn the camera upside down. Definite signs of it being stuck. Any idea if this can be fixed easily by opening the top panel?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 119

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, you would have to inspect the galvanometer assembly to check on damage/stuck particles. This is a delicate operation, depends on your experience level, probably not that easy to do as a first time repair. The inside of the meter (galvanometer) needs to be checked with magnification and good lighting to see if there are stuck particles or if the needle pivots are damaged..

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 239

Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I might add, that a galvanometer is much easier to break, than to fix...
I have never successfully repaired one that had mechanical issues. You can, enough skill and experience given, make one move again, but it takes tools and much more skill to get it to the original performance.
I'd look for a workshop with access to spare parts to fix this.

Marek

Pman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Brcamera and Marek. I am fairly good with repairs, but I'm not an expert. Thanks for the warnings. I'll skip this and keep the camera as it is. Besides, this camera was my first and has sentimental value :-) I'd rather have it in one piece.

I'm very happy with manual exposure right now. Even after all these years, I have a lot to learn about exposure and the broken meter is a blessing in disguise :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration