Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 12 TLR shutter won't return Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica 12 TLR shutter won't return « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Corigami
Tinkerer
Username: Corigami

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a Yashica 12 that appeared to be in fantastic condition. However, after winding and firing the shutter it opens, but doesn't close back up at all until the crank is wound again. If the aperture is set to something smaller than the max it will also stay closed until the crank is wound. Is my shutter just in need of some cleaning or is it broken? Can I repair it myself?

Thanks!

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 51

Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might just need some cleaning - oil on the shutter blades has the effect you describe.
I am not familiar with the Yashica 12, but a search here might bring some info,

Dirk

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 240

Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1) Aperture in TLR is always at the preset value, so this is not a malfunction.

2) If the shutter opens and never closes, then it means the retarder (the part that's actually counting the exposure time) is jammed or broken.
Try GENTLY changing the shutter speeds. There should be some sound of gears whirring when you switch the slowest speeds (1s, 1/2s etc). If you can't hear anything or can't effortlessly change speeds, then you nailed it. However, even if you can do it, it still could be jammed (it's a true negative, but not always true positive test)...
True problem will arise if it is/was jammed and somebody forced the speed selector over the jam. Then it's broken...

Whichever way, there's no hope for help without at least partial disassembly. You will find a lot of suggestions of flushing the whole shutter with lighter fluid, I recommend against. Even if you get parts to move by this treatment, you just shufled the junk inside around and the shutter will neither work reliably, nor long, and once it fails the camera will be permanently junk.

I have participated in a few discussions about servicing this shutter on this board, use search.
Don't restrict it to Yashica 12, look for 124 124G, Mat etc.

Marek

Corigami
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, thanks for the help. I searched around the forum a bit and couldn't find anything about this specific problem, sorry about that.

Corigami
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While waiting over the weekend for the repair shop to open, I played with the camera a bit more and noticed that after firing the shutter the blades were peeking out just the tiniest bit when they were supposed to close. I wasn't sure if they were closing more than they had been or if I just hadn't noticed, but I kept winding the shutter and firing it over and over again. After a few more times I noticed the blades were definitely closing together more. I wound and fired the shutter a dozen or so more times and finally they snapped back together completely in perfect time! After a couple misfires, it looks like the camera is in perfect working order now. Hopefully they'll stay working just fine!

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 242

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pity for the camera.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 151

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Corigami, the shutter was probably stuck due to old lubricant and dust gumming up the works. I had a similar problem on a Retina that finally went away with many actuations of the winding and release. Your camera still could use a good cleaning though, as you never know when the problem will return.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration