Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica MAT 124 way, way out of focus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica MAT 124 way, way out of focus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ojiwan
Tinkerer
Username: Ojiwan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently bought a Yashica MAT 124 for 170usd from an antique shop. Trying not to feel bad about the bad performance since it's not that expensive (I think). I'm a little apprehensive to fix it myself but it seems i have no choice. I hope anyone can point me to the right direction on detailed instructions for DIY focus calibration.

Actually the shutter's a bit messed up as well. I just noticed that the shutter is off too. The indicated number doesn't correspond the right speed. I sort of figured out how to deal with it - the position of the speed has actually shifted - bollocks!

Well that's about it so far. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 241

Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Considered I sold my Mat 124G for €120 in perfect condition with my guarantee, you overpaid.
Look through my posts, I have written about calibrating focus on a TLR about 15 times already and I'm on slow network, so...

Marek

Ojiwan
Tinkerer
Username: Ojiwan

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Marek I'll check them out.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1143

Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly what do you mean by out of focus? Does the viewfinder not match the film, or does it not match the scale on the focus knob? or both? These are different issues with different solutions, and guessing this wrong will make it worse before you get around to making it better.

First, you need to check the focus both at the film plane and at the VF screen. If these match each other, then the camera is not out of focus - what you see as in focus in the finder will be in focus on the film. If this then does not match the scale on the knob, you need to adjust the knob. If the finder and film do not match, first make sure (or adjust as required) that the focus at the film plane matches the knob. Once you've done that, you can look for the problem in the viewfinder. 2 obvious places to look first are (1) is the mirror loose, or installed upside down (the silver surface goes on top)? and (2) is the focusing screen installed upside down (it goes matte-side-down, shiny-side-up; the grooved side of the Fresnel plate should be in contact with the matte surface of the screen)? If these are correct but the focus is still off, then you can adjust the viewing lens, or possibly shim the screen if that's easier.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration