Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Helios rebuild gone wrong... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Helios rebuild gone wrong... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Coyoteboy
Tinkerer
Username: Coyoteboy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, first post - hope I'm not too forward!

I recently stripped my Helios lens as it had oily blades and some dust. Unfortunately I was doing it when I was watching TV and the re-assembly didn't go as well as it could have. After about 30 attempts I got all the barrels, screws and elements in the right place (I got all the elements in the right locations/orientations!) I found I'd lost infinity focus. I tried a few more times but couldn't get the thing to assemble with the aperture/focus rings corretly aligned in any other locations other than that that loses infinity.

Has anyone got a stripdown/rebuild of this lens that will point out the simple mistake I@ve made?

I'd love to get it back together as it was my favourite lens, but I'll probably end up buying a new one!

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 221

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 03:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I probably can't help but which lens is it?

Coyoteboy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 02:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

44M, a KMZ one. I tried another 4 times last night and can't seem to get it back in an order that gives me correct focus. The best I managed last night was to re-gain infinity but lose close-up. The half-way house seems to be an impossibility because that position requires the lens mount to be on 180 degrees out from it's correct location.

This will teach me to matchmark things instead of bashing ahead without.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 261

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe one of these helps:
44M
http://psychoticstudios.net/blog/archives/140

44M-4 (auto aperture mechanism)
http://ebookbrowse.com/tuto-h%C3%A9lios-pps-d112493776 (it's in French but a lot of pics)
You can either browse it online or download it.

Hope it helps

Coyoteboy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, I think the top one might cover me nicely - I'll have to give it a shot. I think it's the part about turning the focuser until it stops early, then re-adjusting the ring that's getting me - I've not done that. Thanks for the good find.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 262

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you're welcome.
Hope you get it back together. Those are fine lenses.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration