Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Welta Weltini II winding knob trouble Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Welta Weltini II winding knob trouble « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings fellow classic camera enthousiast, fixers and users!

My first post here on this board, so be gentle. I've already seen a few familiar faces around. (Hoi Hans! :-) )

I've picked up a Weltini II a couple of years ago and I've recently got round to playing with it. It appears to have some trouble with the frame lock / film transport. The film advance knob won't lock after advancing a frame, while the sprocketed roller does, which in turn causing it to tear the film with its teeth and some uneven frame spacing.
Something appears to be ratcheting when you turn the advance knob but it doesn't lock up.

It's very easy to rotate the knobs by accident this way, messing up even more of the frame spacing.

So I've tried to dismantle the camera to get at the mechanism. The bottom plate comes off easily enough. But I can't seem to remove the knobs themselves and so can't remove the sheet metal part over the frame-lock mechanism.
The winding knob has a keeper nut/screw in the center that I've managed to unscrew, but I don't know how the knob itself comes off? Is it screwed onto the stem? or just pressed on?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,

Nice meeting you again on this forum !

Unfortunately i have no experience with this particular camera but hope somebody comes up with an answer to your question !

Regards,
Hans

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Hans,

The camera is still usable in this state. I just need to advance the film carefully.

I'll see about putting up a picture later today.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 152

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, after you take the center knob-lock screw off, the knob is a reverse (Right handed, clock-wise, opposite direction as the arrow on the knob) thread. Make sure the rewind lock is set to keep the take-up spool from turning

And, welcome to the forum!

PF

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2011 - 04:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspected as much. Rick Oleson also thought to this to be the case. Will give it a go this weekend!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 154

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2011 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, I had to dig mine out from the back of the cabinet to figure it out for you. Too many other things have gotten more attention, and I really want to get mine working good again. It needs a shutter and lens cleaning, and I can't figure how to keep the lens door closed. I see the stud that it's supposed to catch on, but I can't make it move, either by using the release button, or a screwdriver blade. Maybe when I get around to taking the top and bottoms off, I'll find a place to lube the levers, and get it catching again. Good luck on your repairs, it's a sweet little camera to have around.

PF

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The door release button should move the hook inside the body upwards and unhook it from the latch on the inside of the door.

Had a little Signet 35 to repair, clean and adjust for the last couple of days. That got in the way of looking at the Weltini II. But I should have some progress later today.

Rick

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 155

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, I got to looking at mine a bit more, and it appears that there is a part missing, and what I thought was the place where the door clamped onto is actually a pivot point for the release. And there is a screw missing from the bottom of the camera also, so I think mine is going to go back in the box for good. I've got too many other cameras that need attention to be messing around looking for parts for such an obscure model. Too bad too, as I really like the lens/shutter combination on it.

PF

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lens on mine looks like it has been cleaned with steel wool unfortunately ;)

No luck getting the advance knob off its stem. the rewind-prevention is not engaging properly which means I can't bring proper directional forces to bear on it :-(

Trying some creeping oil now hopefully that'll loosen the bond. If not, I'll try some heat next.

Sorry to hear yours isn't cooperating either. They're quite nice compact cameras like the retina's

My stack of camera's that need fixing is growing too. Perfex 55, Yashica GSN, Vest Pocket Kodak...

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 160

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, try wrapping the spool with a long strip of rubber while holding on to the long end so that as you turn the knob, it gets tighter, and will let the knob break loose. Do this towards the knob end of the spool so that the torsion forces don't collapse the spool.

All else fails, maybe we can do a trade, as the lens on mine just needs some cleaning. And you would get some spare parts.

PF

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Success! Finally got the knob off. I had to take the take-up spool out by removing the rewind-release on the top of the camera. I inserted a small screwdriver the the top of the remaining part of the stem and by turning the winding knob in a clockwise direction the screwdriver locked it against the rest of the body.
Finally got the sheet metal cover off and could get some serious cleaning done. Boy it was messy in there.

Removed the two main parts of the mechanism.
re-arched the two little torque springs to give them back a little power. Put a small bit of grease in there to assure smooth operation.

But the biggest problem was the tooth of the ratchet that locks the knob. It had been partially filed off by the sprocketed wheel under the knob when it had gotten out of alignment (probably because some idiot forced the wheel without pressing the release first)

I have tried filing the tooth back into a proper point. Now I just need to put a shim under the knob to prevent the sprocketed wheel from moving out of position.

Thanks for the offer FP, will let you know if my fix has worked :-)

The rubber strip sounds like a good tip too, will keep it in mind for future problems.

Rick

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ended up bending the tooth upward so it would line up better with the sprocket wheel. Put it all back together and: Hey Presto!

It appears to be working now. The tension of the torque springs might still be a little bit too weak, but we'll know how to fix that when the test roll goes South.

Anybody got an idea of how to properly adjust the RF on this thing? :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration